flickr

www.flickr.com

12 November, 2009

Domestic FAIL!

I wanted to sleep in today. Mentally, I needed to sleep in today. Despite my new later shift, my eyes have popped open every day for the past 10 days between 7 and 8. The alarm has been set for 10. I forget what it sounds like!

This morning I had a minor panic attack when I woke up at 6:50 to the sound of a very large boom. Scott assured me that it was a dump truck or something, and I managed to get back to sleep. And sleep I did...all the way to 10:30.

Unfortunately, instead of rejuvenating me, the extra sleep this morning has basically turned me into a lump. A lump with bad eating habits. Two slices of Amish friendship bread for breakfast, and a cinnamon scone and cheddar-sour cream potato chips for lunch. It also doesn't help my motivation that the cool weather has kept Elphie on my lap most of the day. She'll pretend she loves you for HOURS if she can curl up on a warm lap, and I'm a sucker for a sleeping kitten.

None of that makes me a domestic failure. It just means I'm lazy. News flash? Not so much! I'm also giving myself some leeway since last week's "days off" involved playing hostess and popping cookies in and out of the oven and smiling and giving tours and pretending the whole thing was effortless. It was fun, but damn! When do I get to just sit? Oh yeah - today!

Scott had a craving for eggplant parm, and we figure it should be an easy enough recipe to tackle. Apparently it's so easy that none of our dozen cookbooks has a recipe. It's like okra all over again - if you were supposed to make it, your grandmother would have taught you. Luckily, you can find anything on the Internet. I emailed him the ingredients, and we'll probably make it tonight, since nothing else is thawed. Meatless meal? He'll probably bring home a bag of frozen meatballs. Mmm...meatballs... Maybe we can negotiate the eggplant after all...

No comments: