flickr

www.flickr.com

23 September, 2006

Seriously???

Yesterday, I got a comment on this post complaining about my high school reunion. The commenter said that Reunion Makers cancelled his/her reunion 3 days before the event and didn't refund the money. Random, eh?

Imagine my surprise when I came home tonight to an e-mail from Reunion Makers and THREE e-mails from classmates.com saying that new messages had been posted to the Reunion site. Here's what Reunion Makers had to say:

Due to lack of ticket sales, after nine (9) years of planning and hosting successful reunions nationwide, Reunion Makers, Inc. is closing down.

Unfortunately, we have to cancel your event. We know this is as heartbreaking for you as it is for us. Please accept our sincerest apologies.

Reunion Makers Staff


Well, I can't really say that I'm heart broken. Actually, I'm glad I didn't get the time off from work, buy non-refundable plane tickets, book a hotel, pay the $80/person for the reunion, and then have no reason to be in New Jersey on Thanksgiving weekend. I can only imagine the heart attack for our former class president. Here's what she had to say on the message board:

Ceise Buying Reunion Tickets

CHS CLASS OF 1996!!!

Unfortunately after several years of working on class reunions, it has come to my attention that Reunion Makers has recently gone out of business. Myself and others are taking action to see whether or not we will still be able to have our 10 year reunion as scheduled. Until then, I advise you to please STOP PURCHASING tickets through Reunion Makers online, via phone, or through the mail.

FOR THOSE WHO HAVE ALREADY PURCHASED REUNION TICKETS THROUGH REUNION MAKERS

Please contact myself or Jxxxx xxxxx immediately (my e-mail address is listed on the CHS alumni website.) We will certainly keep everyone in the loop and will advise the entire class of the next steps...and again, I SINCERERLY apologize for the difficulty we are currently experiencing.

Thank you, in advance, for your patience, as we continue to work this out.


First, I'm going to be petty and point out the word "Ceise" in the subject line. Umm...no spell check on classmates.com? Second, I'm wondering how many people had actually bought tickets, and whether they'll get their money back. Third, if you write SINCERELY in all caps, does that really make is seem more sincere?

I can't wait to see how this plays out over the next month or so.

... and I'm so glad I didn't touch this reunion with a 10-foot pole!

By the way, the invitation is still open for anyone who wants to reunite in Orlando... not that anyone will take me up on it.

No comments: