flickr

www.flickr.com

08 August, 2008

And Now for Something Completely Serious

I read this article in Reader's Digest yesterday and literally broke out in a cold sweat. Why? I think this paragraph sums it up (emphasis mine):

Maura Gillison, MD, a researcher and professor at Johns Hopkins University in Baltimore, was among the first to study the link between the growth of head and
neck cancers among younger nonsmokers and certain types of the sexually transmitted human papillomavirus (HPV)
. It's the same virus that causes the majority of cervical cancers and warts. The risks are scary because the virus is really common, even in teenagers. Twenty million people in the United States have some form of HPV, and over six million more get it every year. It can be transmitted through oral sex, and both men and women can be infected. Of the more than 35,000 people who will be diagnosed with oral cancer this year, 25 percent of us will connect our diagnosis to HPV infection. As my treatment continues, I'm struck by how nobody seems to know about any of this.


OK, I know it now! So... is there a test? Can I get a PAP stick stuck down my throat? Sadly, according to their online extra, the only test is a biopsy on existing cancer can tell whether it is related to HPV. It looks like a test is in the works.

I sure hope so... I can't fathom losing part of my tongue, losing my ability to speak, to sing, to swallow... To me, that could be worse than losing my sight or my hearing.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Everything you ever wanted to know about this including voice recordings from Dr. Gillison and reprints of her work is available on this page of our web site.
http://www.oralcancerfoundation.org/hpv/index.htm

The Oral Cancer Foundation has been a sponsor of this work at Hopkins and is a source for what we know at this point in time.

OC advocate, Stage 4 oral cancer survivor, never smoker, HPV etiology disease.

Anonymous said...

but what if you DO smoke?

Minima said...

Wow that is scary. Be sure to bring it up at your next physical, maybe he'll have some ideas about screening and early detection.