flickr

www.flickr.com

19 February, 2009

More on House Hunting

more accurately, Moron House Hunting

I thought I'd share some of my other favorite houses, since this really is my own personal diary. After all, it'll be nice to have them in one place. I sent this list (plus a bunch more) to Scott with some comments, and he replied with his own.

Note: Joanne believes we can afford a house that costs around $150,000. Scott and I would both prefer something MUCH less expensive. We'd rather have an "ok" house and be able to vacation and go out to dinner than have the best house ever and be trapped in it all the time. And really, after 5 years in a one bedroom apartment, there's not much out there that wouldn't feel like a palace!

That said, here's the most expensive one we both liked. It doesn't look like most other houses, has a pool, and even has a detached garage. When was the last time you saw THAT in Florida?

Breakfast nook! And I dig the blue walls. Scott says he's reserving judgement until he sees more of this house, but I'm in love!

Have you noticed yet that we have a thing for big kitchens with counter space? It's a theme. Anyway, this one is out in Clermont close to Mascotte, but may be worth the extra few minutes of commute.

One more for now. Scott's rule of thumb is houses built in 2000 or later. This one was built in '99 (still less than 10 years old). I really like it - garden tub in the master bath, nice sized kitchen... looking at them all again, I'm actually rather partial to it.

Opinions?

6 comments:

Minima said...

Hard to tell from some of the photos but I think I like the one in Clermont close to Mascotte the most. It looks like it has some interesting architectural details inside. It doesn't say how big the lot is but it does have a screen room. Don't forget, outside space is important too!

You're smart to look for something LESS than what you can afford. Most of our friends bought houses at the top of their price range and a few years later told us that they regretted it because they missed vacations and eating out. You don't want to resent your own home.

And remember adjustable rate mortgages are EVIL!!! Mortgage rates went to 20% in the 70s!

Anonymous said...

The Most Expensive One .... nice! The green pool means it's prolly been empty for awhile ... if you negotiate down 10%, which is WAY reasonable, the house is $133K and change ... with a $20K down payment, WOW! And with a fixed rate 15 yr mortgage ... you'll have it paid off before Aunt Sally May!

Anonymous said...

"Blue Walls" looks like a slave driver from the outside!

Anonymous said...

The one near Mascotte is really, really cool! Lots of outside work ... this coming from someone lazy and old! I like it cuz it's closer to me! :)

Anonymous said...

Built in 99 ... it's really nice, like you said. Kinda weird having a hearse in the driveway, eh?

Minima said...

HA! I noticed the hearse but it didn't even strike me as being odd. I guess that comes from living just around the corner from Dr. Paul Bearer for years ~ now that he's dead the hearse not being there is odd.