flickr

www.flickr.com

09 March, 2012

And So It Starts

Well, I did it.

Actually, I haven't done anything yet.

But I took the step before the first step.

This afternoon, I registered for a real honest-to-God distance race. 

Before you ask, no I'm not on any mind-altering drugs... but I would like to be off of my other drugs!

I signed up for the less-than-a-half-marathon "Twilight Zone Tower of Terror 10-Miler" at the end of September.

Cool things about this race:
1. It's at night - 10pm to be specific
2. It's villains-themed
3. It's a distance that doesn't seem ridiculous to me.  The half, which is on my bucket list, is 13.1 miles.  For some reason, I can't wrap my mind around that.  (but if I can handle this, I might consider doing one next year)

Going into the start of the Walking League, my goal was to walk for a whole hour without whining. (yes, I already told that story)  After six weeks, I logged just over 13 miles (we skipped last week because I worked an overnight shift).  I figure if I can walk 3 miles in an hour now, with no fitness level whatsoever, and without any muscle soreness or fatigue, then surely I can train over the next 6 months to be able to go 10 miles at a 15 minute mile pace.  My doctor says I'm allowed, and gave me some good advice about blisters.

So I'm going to start next week.  The training plan I'm following is 3 days per week (2 of which are only 30 minutes!) and start with a strategy of running 5 seconds, then walking 55 seconds.  I can do THAT!  I think some folks from work might be interested.  If so, I'll be running with them.  If not, Scott will go out with me early in the morning and pace me on the bike.  Either way, I'm committed.

Updates to come!

2 comments:

mamajoy said...

Talk to Aunt Edna about shoes! When she was down for her 60 mile, 3 day walk, I was amazed that she spent big bucks on shoes! She didn't spend that much on her first house! If SHE says they're worth the money, it's gotta be true!

Milady said...

Melanie here! I enjoyed this piece, please email me--I have a question about your blog. MelanieLBowen[at]gmail[dot]com