- The early bird also catches the fish. We saw an osprey fly over clutching a hefty breakfast in its talons.
- Bullfrog aerosol sunblock is only sweatproof for up to five miles. The last mile, the only reason I was still running was the motivation to get back to the towel in the car and wipe my stinging eyes!
- Four miles is about as far as I can go without refueling. Next week I'm going to pack some almonds and raisins for a quick boost. Today I got a little bit light-headed around mile 4.5, and the last .5 mile my feet were like lead.
- Awesome recovery food: smoothie of chocolate soy milk (the light kind), banana, and a big honkin' spoonful of peanut butter. It was as thick as a milkshake, and with a good amount of calcium, potassium, and protein. (down side: too much sugar)
- Don't forget the bug spray! I got some OFF with Deet, which kept the yellow flies away (I still have a welt from the bites I got 2 weeks ago), but there are a lot of bugs out there! I had a dead gnat stuck to my face under my eye...and I'm pretty sure it actually drowned in the sweat on my face!
- Oh, the sweat! By the end of today's run, I had one dry spot on my shirt, near the bottom where my underwear/shorts/shorts were between my skin and the shirt. Also, my ponytail was soaked from my scalp to an inch below the rubber band AND 4" up from the bottom from the head sweat and neck sweat.
All in all, I'm happy with today's results. Next week is 7 miles, but I think I'll be stronger with the lessons I learned this week.