flickr

www.flickr.com

15 March, 2014

Winter Park Road Race 10K Recap

This morning had absolutely perfect race weather - mid 50's at the start, clear, and the best part - not humid!

I signed up for this race less than a week ago. I had only done one five-mile run since Glass Slipper and figured it would be a good warm-up for the Sarasota Half AND test run of my new shoes (another pair of my Brooks Glycerin 11 "blue man shoes"). Plus the race had a medal, gorgeous tech shirt, and a souvenir glass. Hooray for race swag!

Now *that's* a picturesque mile marker!

Track Shack puts on the most consistently well-run races, and Winter Park is a beautiful place to run. It's not necessarily an easy place to run, with uneven brick streets, but I managed to get through today with my knees and ankles intact. The volunteers and support staff were great, and I had a really positive experience.

The race field quickly spread, so within two miles the jostling and jockeying for position was minimal. And the vast majority of my fellow interval walk-runners were courteous about not walking multiple people abreast, blocking the road.

My "dirty old lady" moment of the race came when running past the shore where the Stetson University crew team were getting ready for practice.  It was all I could do to not run backwards after I passed them.

I have to say this race was just plain fun for me.  The 10K seems to be a good distance for me to push for a little bit more speed, but still feel happy and alive when I finish.   Aaand it gives me the opportunity to wear silly socks. That's always a bonus!!


One more random thing I'd like to share about this race: this was the first time I did a race wearing compression pants without baggier shorts on top.  I lucked out with the weather, because I ended up having that long-sleeve shirt tied at my waist covering my butt.  But look who's not totally ashamed of her thighs anymore!

My Race Stats:
Clock Time: 1:25:52
Chip Time: 1:24:13 *PR*
Pace: 13:33
Overall Place: 2472/2820
Gender Place: 1501/1782
Maybe someday I'll claw my way into the top 75% of a non-Disney race field. Maybe...

My Splits (according to RunKeeper):
Mile 1: 12:00 min/mile *1-mile PR*
Mile 2: 12:52 min/mile
Mile 3: 13:18 min/mile
Mile 4: 13:12 min/mile
Mile 5: 13:07 min/mile
Mile 6: 13:34 min/mile

No comments: