flickr

www.flickr.com

27 March, 2010

Tomato Soup Shouldn't Be This Hard

I realized something recently: tomato soup, when not out of a can, is really freaking delicious! There are two restaurants at Disney (one to which we will not return thanks to their dismal service) that have sublime tomato soup, and I've been inspired to try my hand at it.

Side note: my desire to make soup from scratch centers around the first time I made chicken pot pies from scratch and I realized that sauteing onion, celery, carrot, and garlic makes your whole house smell like you are cooking from scratch. I don't know why people don't do that when they are selling a house instead of baking brownies!

So I searched "Sanaa tomato soup recipe" and "Turf Club tomato soup recipe" online to no avail. Turf Club's tomato soup is really just sort of normal tomato soup, served with a giant blob of goat cheese in the middle, and with toasted baguette slices all around the bowl. Sanaa's is more like a bowl of delicious roasted tomato with none of the other crap. Theirs has chunks of paneer cheese, which is this weird non-melting cheese the consistency of tofu. Sounds gross, but it isn't. But that's neither here nor there, because I can't find either recipe.

Scott and I searched all of our cook books last night, and found a whopping two tomato soup recipes. One had mashed potato flakes (because nothing says 'cooking from scratch' like adding a product that's more sodium than calories) and the other had chicken stock. I passed on both.

I finally found a recipe online for tomato-basil cream soup that's simple enough that I know I can handle it. And it starts with onion, garlic, celery, and carrot. Sadly, it ends with 3 cups of heavy cream. I suggested substituting milk, but Scott doesn't like that idea. We may compromise with half of each.

And I need to email Disney to ask for the other two recipes.

3 comments:

Janette said...

I found a tomato recipe last year when I was drowning in really ripe homegrown tomatoes. It's by Mark Bittman so you know it's good! I don't know if it'ss what you're going for but I think you should try it because it's DELICIOUS! It's sort of thick and really tasty. BTW, I left the tomato seeds in.

http://bitten.blogs.nytimes.com/2009/07/17/tomato-soup-with-bread-pappa-al-pomodoro/

Read the comments for more ideas on varying the recipe.

And be sure to post whatever recipe you eventually try. I hope to be drowning in some great tomatoes again this year!

Amy said...

I sent you two recipes by email. You have inspired me to try homemade! Good luck. Amy

Jamie the ParkHopper said...

thanks guys. I'm going to get back on the soup wagon soon - maybe next weekend - before it gets to be 90 degrees outside.