flickr

www.flickr.com

23 December, 2007

Driving Tired

I got the following in a Florida DOT newsletter today:

Don't drive tired.
Safe driving requires sharp focus, good judgment and quick reactions. But, those skills are in short supply when you drive while sleepy.

Most drivers admit to being tired at the wheel at least once in the past year. And, at least 100,000 crashes annually are caused by driver fatigue.

When you drive while tired, it can lead to a number of problems.

I'm particularly amused by the "at least once in the past year" part.  I admit to being tired at the wheel at least once in the past day!  Don't get me wrong - I don't think I've ever actually nodded off at the wheel.  But I've had those drive-with-the-windows-down-and-the-stereo-loud nights.  Who hasn't?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Back in the day, when I was trying to ge hired full time, and I thought my "in" would be to work every shift I was offered (which WORKED in 4 short months!), I used to get 4 or 5 hours of sleep, and the catch an extra nap on I-4 on the way in!

The TIREDEST I ever drove was in 1999, and my car's a/c was dead, and I refused to invest that much money in an old clunker (which ended up going 5 years w/o a/c), and I had the day shift ... and I would drive home through Orlando in rush hour traffic, with no breeze at all. UGH! It wasn't so much tired as heat prostration, but I'm sure the affect was the same!