flickr

www.flickr.com

15 December, 2007

Managing Chaos

Something happened at work while I was on vacation: the Holiday Season started. Here at The Restaurant, that means high guest counts, gift certificate orders ("will that get here by Tuesday?"), and people offering their first-born child to be moved up on the wait list from #75 to "slight chance in hell."

Last December, we were short-staffed. I distinctly remember coming home in tears at least once a week and proclaiming that December was, without a doubt, the worst month of the year. Well this year we are staffed adequately. And by "staffed adequately," I mean I'm not having to work overtime just so that there is a body in the office. I still wish that Gayle was here. But alas, it's been 8 months, I don't think she's coming back!

Right now I'm operating in a whirlwind of sorts. I stayed an hour late last night and managed to clear off the saved voicemails. I also did everything on my to-do list that didn't involve making a phone call. And my to-do list for today still has almost a dozen things on it. I'm doing my best to not get overwhelmed. And my bosses are (or were yesterday at least) keeping me in good spirits.

I'll probably still be picking up some extra hours over the next 3 weeks. And really, I'm ok with that. After all, it is our busiest time of the year.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

It's the most wonderful time of the year!