flickr

www.flickr.com

31 December, 2005

Greatest Thing Ever...

At work this week, I got a very nice letter from a guy I bent over backwards to do something nice for, and it got bubbled up the right channels I guess, and our Executive Vice President published it in his weekly newsletter.

Get a very public pat on the back from your company's EVP, and every manager between you and him jumps at the chance to congratulate you.

Of course, in my case this has meant our area manager and our operations manager printing out said public pat on the back and writing a note at the top of it. Still - this is absolutely something I'll remember for a long time to come.

I was going to copy & paste the letter into here, but I can't access it right now. Instead, here's what happened from my point of view (as blogged on 9-18-05):

I did my good deed for the month today. I got a call around 4:30 from a guy whose 1-year wedding anniversary is tonight. They came here for their honeymoon last year and ate at the Fancy Restaurant, and came for the weekend just to eat there again for their anniversary. Anyway, he called to find out how to arrange flowers at the restaurant for his wife. I called the Florist who told me they stop taking delivery orders after 2pm. Oops. And short of taking a cab to the nearest grocery store, this guy was S.O.L. I took pity, and in a moment of weakness I offered to help him out.

I told him I could run to the store for him. I was like "I get off in 20 minutes - I can go get them and drop them at the restaurant for you." He was floored, and said "no, you don't have to do that" with a hint of "please GOD let it be true!!" in his voice. Like I said, I took pity. "I've been married a year and a half - I know how important the first anniversary is." Of course, he accepted.

I was just going to run over to Goodings, but when he said he just needed 2 roses I decided to call the florist again to see if I could go and pick them up after work. And they said I could! The roses were $5 each...but totally worth it for the presentation. When I got there they were still putting the order together, so I got to chat with the girls who were putting tomorrow's wedding arrangements together (wow!). Anyway, for $10 they put these two silly roses in a rose box (the kind gangsters carry machine guns in in the movies...shrunk for 2 flowers) with a beautiful bow, they put a gold-embossed card on it with Happy Anniversary written in it, and sent me on my way in 25 minutes.

Anyway, Mr. Anniversary asked me "what special thing can I do for you?" and I told him to write a letter. We'll see if that happens. Honestly, I was glad to help him out. I hope his wife loves the flowers and never knows that her husband is a terrible procrastinator!

So he actually wrote a letter! And yes, I'm now patting myself on the back. But I do a lot of crazy things for people and usually I'm lucky to get a 'thank you.' I'm going to bask in the glow of this puppy for a while to come.

1 comment:

Janette said...

That's so nice that he took the time to write a letter! People are always so quick to complain but it's rare that they make the effort to say "thanks" when someone goes the extra mile.

Congratulations!