flickr

www.flickr.com

31 December, 2005

"Then I'll just keep calling back..."

Here's some hints to anyone out there who may have a reason to call my place of business:

Calling over and over again and getting angry at the operators for connecting you to a closed office will not get you your way.

Saying that you are on the west coast and it's not 5pm there will not change the fact that it's after 5pm on the east coast.

Threatening to call back again and again until 5pm your time will not convince me to call the person in charge at home so that you can ask your "very important" questions.

I'm not saying that your call doesn't matter. I'm not saying that your voice shouldn't be heard. I'm not even saying that you are a waste of flesh. (although I won't deny thinking any of those things) I am saying that you are being irrational, and your emotions and inflated sense of self-importance are interfering with my place of business. If I acted the way some people act towards me any given day, I doubt I could sleep at night.

So next time you call a business - to complain, to make a transaction, or even to be connected to someone who works there - remember that there's a PERSON on the other end of the line. Saying 'please' and 'thank you' doesn't hurt, doesn't even take a second, and is respectful. Remember that the first person who answers the phone is probably not the one responsible for whatever has upset you, and therefore doesn't deserve your ire. Also remember that that person is probably an entry-level worker who makes half what you do. Consider whether you would treat this person the same if you were face-to-face. And don't be a jerk.

1 comment:

Marc said...

I have two suggestions for callers from the left coast:

1) Get up earlier, or
2) Move east.

Although personally I think all businesses (or at least all help desks and business call centers) should be located on the west coast so I can call when I get home from work! :)