Here's a list of actual things that Scott and I did today:
1. Trip to Lowe's to buy paint, primer, and a new towel holder for powder room.
2. Removal of old towel bar, using sharp blade and new pry bar.
(also bought pry bar and mallet at Lowe's during #1)
3. Discovery of two perfectly rectangular holes behind old towel bar.
4. Discovery that builders installed vanity light without a junction box and that installation of new vanity light without a junction box is impossible.
5. Googled "install vanity light no junction box," and got great instructions from diynetwork.com on how to install a junction box.
5a. Curse like a sailor, throw brief tantrum.
6. Trip to Lowe's to buy wall patches, spackle, and aerosol can of "orange peel" wall texture to fix holes where old towel bar was. Also bought new junction box. The girl in the drywall section was quite helpful. The guy in the electrical section was dumb as a box of rocks. And he looked like the boss from Office Space. Luckily, there was a nice middle-aged customer who came to my rescue. Twice. I say "my" rescue because, as a man, Scott can't ask for help. So he disappears ("hey - we NEEDED a drywall saw!") while I ask for help. It's ok. At least then I get to hear the instructions first-hand and don't need to second guess later.
7. Scott patches holes in one wall while I cut a big circular hole in another wall.
8. Realize plumbing is close to the wall and that junction box is too deep and therefore won't fit.
8a. Curse like a (&$%(# sailor. Lament that we're stuck with ugly Broadway-style lighting forever.
9. Scott uses drywall saw to cut the back off of the plastic junction box while I watch two hours worth of DVRed TV shows. Yep...two hours. The man is dedicated!
10. Anchor junction box into drywall, install light fixture, and test out lighting.
11. Go to garage and do some test-runs of orange peel texturing on cardboard (and on the garage wall). Damn, it's cold out!
12. Eat dinner of chicken tenders and fish planks at 9 pm while mocking the Olympic opening ceremony.
13. Blog about day that was supposed to be fun but, like most home improvement projects, turned out to be frustrating.
I took lots of pictures today, but I'm saving them for a full before & after. Tomorrow while Scott is at work I'm definitely going to texture over the wall patches and tape off the baseboards and ceiling. I might prime, but it's likely I'll wait for next Friday and Saturday to prime & paint when Scott is there to help. Not that there's room for two of us in there at a time...