flickr

www.flickr.com

30 March, 2008

Just Another Day at the Office

Work has been rough the past few days. Number Two went on a little beach vacation and hasn't been there for the past two days, leaving me alone in the office with The Boss.

...with two food writers last night
...who got special menus
...and special wine pairing

What's all that mean? It means The Boss is stressed, The Chef is stressed, and I'm stressed because I need extra information from them and they don't have time to give it to me.

Last night was so bad that the only reason I didn't call in today is that neither of them will be there. I'm counting on a quiet day, being left alone, and getting work done on some projects.

Also, I found out this week that the answer to this question is 4.5%, and for some reason I am taking that completely expected news really hard. I guess I feel like I deserve more. We raised our menu prices 25% in two years, which means the servers have gotten a MUCH bigger pay raise than I did (a $25 bump translates to an extra $5/guest, which adds up over the course of the year). The Boss did tell me that I'm the highest paid person in the location, which comes as no surprise. The servers make $3/hour or something ridiculous like that, and the seaters are pretty much on the bottom of the pay scale. As for the other people on my team, a) I'm the only full time person and b) I've got more years seniority than the rest of them. I won't even mention the other reasons I deserve more money than they get!

It's not personal, and not negotiable. Apparently that's the average for people in comparable jobs who were rated the way I was. But it definitely clarifies that I should be looking for another job, maybe one that doesn't require me to jump through hoops at 10 pm.

4 comments:

Janette said...

That's the problem with working for a big corporation. No matter how good a job you do, there's "guidelines" for pay increases. No matter how much you bust your ass the best you can do in most places is *spit* 5% *spit*. It's VERY frustrating, I know, so you have my sympathy. (I hope that I never have to work for a big corporation again *fingers crossed*.)

The thing is if you really like your job, and I know you do, don't give it up just because of the pay. I know that sounds nutty. Just remember that there are more important things in life than the almighty dollar. Doing something that you like is far important for your overall happiness. A higher paying job that you hate won't be worth it in the long run.

Maybe it's worth sticking to where you are and waiting out #1 or #2 so you can move up, not on.

Sadly, in most corporation these days, real "raises" come through advancing through the ranks, not structured yearly pay increases.

[Depressing economic crap ahead.]

Your Company follows standard practices for large industries which means raises are based on COLA (cost of living allowances) X 2. So your raise minus cost of living (in reality, underestimated because our government currently underestimates inflation) is at best an increase of 2.2 percent in actual spending power. What that means is that anyone in your company who got a pay increase of 2.2 percent or less this year is actually making less than they did last year.

So, um, I guess you should celebrate your raise!

Anonymous said...

Yeah! What Janette said! Do what you like and the money will follow you there!

Janette said...

Should say "Doing something that you like is far MORE important for your overall happiness. A higher paying job that you hate won't be worth it in the long run."

Sorry, mutlitasking and failing.

Team Hock said...

Jamie - I haven't heard my raise for this year yet, but I am expecting it to be less than yours. Not sure how to afford childcare with not much else coming in!