flickr

www.flickr.com

23 May, 2008

County Government: Sucking the Joy Out of Life

I have roughly five vacation posts to write (Atlanta impressions/food, Travel, Hotel, CNN/World of Coke and of course the Aquarium), plus a post about today's unexpected gift and the new Indiana Jones movie, and no desire to write anything at all except this:

Can't a girl catch a break?!?!?

I got a jury summons today.

For Monday June 2.

For a three week civil trial.

And judging by the name of the case, I'm guessing it's medical malpractice.

I called The Boss and asked him to write me a letter begging for me to be excused. He said he'd talk to his boss, but was pretty sure he couldn't. His suggestion? "Punk up" my hair and dress radical.

It's not like I'm against jury duty. After all, I sat through a trial back in 2003. The problem? Let's see...

- The courthouse is basically in the opposite end of the county from my home - probably a 90 minute drive.
- Report time is 7:45 am.
- If chosen for the trial, I'm likely going to need to work on Saturday & Sunday because there's just no one else to fill in for 21 straight days.
- If chosen for the trial, Scott and I will be home together literally for 4 hours per day. And we'll be asleep. He gets home from work around 2, and I'd be leaving at 6. That is SO uncool!
- Let's not even discuss the gas my car will need to get me that far.

Oh yeah, and someone from The Restaurant recently was on the jury for a MURDER trial that only lasted 5 days. Some girls have all the luck!

I have a pretty general sense of foreboding about this time. Last time I got a summons I didn't even have to report. What are the odds my luck will hold?

poo...

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

The gas thing could be your way out! That's a bonafide hardship.

Anonymous said...

I never get Jury duty..
just ONCE I want Jury Duty..

Janette said...

I'm with Matthew, I've never even been called - Pick me! Pick me!

Golf Guy has been called(a really juicy kidnapping case) and mom swears that she gets called every three years. I've been registered to vote for 22 years and nuthin'- I feel snubbed.

Maybe I can volunteer in your place?