flickr

www.flickr.com

17 May, 2008

Cross My Heart...

I promise this will be my last gas price rant for at least a week... probably 2 weeks. But really, it simply MUST be said:

I paid $39.04 to fill my tank today.

I drive a compact car that holds a maximum of 11 gallons of gas in the tank. And I didn't buy 11 gallons of gas today.

$39.04.

It took me by surprise. I may have blacked out behind the wheel as a result.

All day today I was wondering how long ago it was that I was paying less than $30. I remember that it was recent, and I remember being glad I'd put it off as long as I had, because Scott (with the bigger tank) had been paying $30+ for a while. So I just took a look through my bank statement and found out that on March 28 I paid $29.78 to fill my tank, and then on April 14 I paid $31.89.

April 14 was 33 days ago. And that's like a 20% increase! (it's late, so please forgive me if my math is way off there) What the heck is going on out there?!?

And now, as is my custom when I am angry about gas prices, I shall offer this charming tidbit from our Commander in Chief (courtesy of CNN.com):

"We've got to do more at home," the president said on the lush lawn of a resort overlooking the Red Sea in Sharm El-Sheik, Egypt.

Speaking after a private meeting with Afghanistan President Hamid Karzai, he mentioned moves that have long been part of his agenda but stymied in Congress, such as developing alternate fuels, improving conservation and expanding domestic exploration.

So let me get this straight: our own "oil man" President is blaming CONGRESS for not pushing alternate fuels? Yes, I admit to hearing something along the lines of, "no...you may not drill for oil in a wildlife refuge." But other than that, I call bullshit. grrrr

No comments: