flickr

www.flickr.com

03 May, 2008

Celebrity...ish

Earlier tonight, I was standing in the waiting area shared by The Restaurant and another restaurant chatting with Number Two (actually, dishing about how The Restaurant is like the "grown-up" table at Thanksgiving and the other restaurant is like the kids' table). As we were wrapping up our conversation, my focus was shifted to a family of four - two grown ups and two little girls - waiting for their table at the other restaurant. A man in a bright blue Mickey t-shirt (which is probably why my attention went there) walked past where the family was sitting, stopped dead in his tracks, and took two steps backward (no - didn't turn around - actually back-stepped).

blue shirt guy: You look just like Moderately Famous Writer
family guy: Nah...he's much better looking than I am.

At which point family man stood up and shook blue shirt guy's hand and said it was a pleasure to meet him. Blue shirt guy said something friendly back, walked away, and family guy went back to being the family guy. So yeah - I was 5 feet away from someone I aspire to be when I grow up: someone who writes funny stories about their life, has a mass audience, and makes money doing it!

It was pretty cool.

I was also pretty impressed about how that situation went down. Both men were, I think, the perfect amount of friendly. There was no pestering for autograph and also no aloof-celebrity-ness. It's how I'd like to imagine the day I meet any of my boyfriends... although I would be happy to sign an autograph for any of them!

Sadly, none of the managers of either restaurant knew who he was. It sucks being star-struck when no one around you is as impressed by the situation as you are. Oh well... it still tickled me to death!

2 comments:

Janette said...

WHO?!? Seriously, I'm just dying to know.

Anonymous said...

Wow! And he's so humble! He actually admitted that he's not as handsome as himself!