flickr

www.flickr.com

20 August, 2008

The Angry Old Man

So... Milo has an ouchie eye. Last night I wiped of a giant green eye boogie and noticed that he was winking an awful lot. Too late to worry about it, Scott and I decided to table our (my) angst until today. He seems better today, except for the fact that he looks like Iron Eyes Cody at the end of that commercial. Seeing him cry, even though he wasn't really crying, made me positively ache!

Mah babay! What if he loses his eye? The other cats will never let him keep his alpha cat title with one eye... Plus, the internet is tough on the nerves. Every "cat eye injury" search basically comes back with some variation of "must medicate! terrible! bad mommy!" So we took him to the vet.

Remember when Elphie came home? He growled and hissed and swatted at anything that moved near him. But he cooled down, and now we all love each other again.

(yes, that's foreshadowing)

Well Milo didn't want to get in the kitty carrier. So we picked him up by the scruff and dropped him in feet-first. He didn't like the car trip, but managed to get through it with only a little noise. He didn't like the EFFING IDIOT mother with three kids (one shoeless... at the vet!) and a cat with no carrier. As soon as their cat hissed at Milo, I had Scott turn the carrier around so that he could watch the people in the other side of the waiting room.

You know what else Milo didn't like? The girl who tried to take him out of the carrier so that we could weigh him. He scared the crap out of her and she slammed the door back in his face. He didn't like it when I dragged him out and plopped him on the scale. He was so angry hissing and growling that the girl went to get reinforcements.

Of course, it didn't help that the nice cat mentioned above was getting either blood or something equally traumatic and was howling like it was his last moment on Earth.

The "reinforcement" turned out to be the vet. She wouldn't go near him either. So she literally looked him in the face from about a foot away and said that she didn't think it was too bad (he's been keeping it open for the most part) but that she was going to give me some ointment to put in it. Every 2-3 hours. No, not drops, ointment! "Just squeeze a ribbon right along the bottom lid."

Scott and I laughed all the way home!

OK, we didn't really laugh. But I didn't really tell him what what was in the little bag until we were in the car. I didn't want him to curse in front of the kids in the waiting room! And then maybe we laughed a little. So, "bad mommy" that I am, I have decided to wait until tomorrow to make sure the eye is healing. If not, we're going to wrap him in a few dozen blankets, one of us is going to sit on him, and the other is going to squeeze goo into his stretched open eye.

This is SO not funny...despite the fact that I am laughing out loud and interrupting Scott's chicken prep.

So back to the vet: This is the same office we took Zoe to when she bashed open her head. This time, we saw the other vet. She said that if his eye doesn't get better, we should make an appointment to come in earlier in the day because they don't sedate in the afternoon. That's right - I have a cat that needs to be sedated. She said sometimes it's just the first trip, and they're not vicious when they come back.

She called my baby vicious!

Sure, he attacked a little kid earlier this year. But her parents told her to leave him alone. Sure, we joke about him killing Kilo. But that's all in jest. Sure, he bites. But only when he doesn't want to be pet anymore. He's my baby. Vicious? I feel like my kid just got labeled with ADD and I never thought he acted out at all!

On the bright side, since she never actually touched him, we didn't have to pay for the exam. Just $11 for the ointment we'll hopefully never have to use!

3 comments:

Minima said...

I'm so sorry that your baby is sick! Sooooo sorry! But kudos for getting a scaredy cat vet who was honest enough to not charge you for a real visit.

Baxter has made it to the vet exactly once. He was supposed to get neutered but I have my doubts that the deed was indeed done. The entire vet facility turned out to see me take him home and he still has all his "equipment" afterwards. Do they do kitty vasectomies? The vet strongly suggested that she'd really rather never see him again. Now, he's a sweetheart to me and I'd like to think that he'd be a sweetheart with everyone but, honestly, I can see how must be with strangers. Especially strangers who intend to cut off body parts.

As for the eye thing, Baloo had a stye/icky eye once and he loved, loved, LOVED a warm wash cloth on his eye so you might try that. The initial resistance was overcome with petting w/ said washcloth and once he found out it felt nice he was totally into the warm washcloth and didn't even mind the eye med afterward. Of course, cats vs. dogs, your mileage may vary.

Hope your baby is better soon!

Jamie the ParkHopper said...

I think I'll try the washcloth trick. I know he doesn't like the goop build-up because he was really patient with me wiping it off last night (I totally expected him to bite my thumb off at any moment!)

That's funny about Baxter and the vet. Milo had been in a bunch of times (that's what happens when your $10 shelter kitty comes home with 5 different parasites on his tiny 1 pound body) and never had a problem. But when he got fixed, he woke up from anesthesia growling and hissing at everyone who came within 5 feet of his cage!

Of course, I'd be angry too!

Anonymous said...

HEY! This is my first grandson here! He's a peach of a pussy cat! And I wouldn't worry if I were you, "Hopper", remember Cyclops from next door? He was a lot like Milo ... a benevolent dictator! A sweetie as long as everyone knew he was the boss. I like him better than all of the others in that flea-bitten house! One eye is like a status symbol! Guys like scars!