flickr

www.flickr.com

13 February, 2009

One!

Open Letter to the Woman Sitting Orchestra Left, Row V, seat 19 in the Bob Carr Performing Arts Center Last Night:

Madam,

I did not pay $50 per ticket to see A Chorus Line to listen to you singing along. Yes, I'm sure you think you sound great in your car, but you're in your 60s. It's time to give up the dream.


To be fair, she only did it twice. And both times, the first time I heard a note come out of her mouth my head spun her direction so quickly I think I got whiplash!

Other than that (Mrs. Lincoln), the show was pretty good. The dancing was fabulous. Unfortunately, apparently there aren't that many triple threats out there doing tours. These were dancers who could sing, but they weren't fabulous singers. The only two stand-outs in the cast were the girls playing Cassie and Diana (Morales) and maybe Richie. He got the biggest applause in the curtain call, but I think that was because the whole audience was thinking "the black one! We recognize him!" Because once you put them all in gold sparkly outfits, they all look the same.

And once again, just like the other two times I saw the show, I was sad about who gets the job at the end. It's funny how I block that scene in my memory.

Our seats, aside from the human mockingbird to my left and the man with the carcass breath behind us, were really good. We were far back, but right next to the tech booth, so pretty well centered. Bob Carr is still a crappy theater, but it beats hauling tail to Tampa. I'm happy I went, and Scott didn't hate the show, so I guess that's two thumbs up!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Yaaa for Scott!

Memo to me: bring gum and don't sing at Spamalot!