flickr

www.flickr.com

05 April, 2009

Wii Fit

Our purchase of a Wii was conditional. If we were going to have yet another video game system, we were also going to buy a Wii Fit so that it would be a video game system with purpose.

We finally got our Wii Fit this past week, and today is Day 4 for me. Poor Scott has been sick and hasn't done anything but cough and wheeze since Day 1, so I have no comparisons between my experience and his. So far, I love it. It turns out I don't love yoga or strength training, but I love all things aerobic (even jogging!) and about half of the balance games.

I'm getting in about 35 minutes a day, which isn't enough heart-pumping for a true aerobic work-out, but for now it's all the time I have to give. And since I don't end tired or sore, I'm much more likely to get up and do it again the next day. (take THAT, Cardio Kick-Box DVD!)

The Wii Fit monitors your weight (in my opinion, it makes this stuff up - I seriously doubt I lost 2.6 pounds between 9 last night and 9 this morning, or that I gained 2.3 pounds between Day 1 and Day 3) and also keeps track of your progress in the activities. There's always that desire to get a new Personal Best to keep you going. Plus, for every 5 minutes of activity, it unlocks another activity. It keeps things interesting.

I'm going to try to keep doing it in the mornings every day except Saturday, because I work mornings on Saturday. We'll see how that goes. I'll check in here from time to time with updates, when there's something to report.

Week One
Favorites: Hula hoop, step aerobics, table tilt
Least Favorite: Push-ups

4 comments:

mamajoy said...

how would u compare the "fun" level of this to brain age?

Jamie the ParkHopper said...

more "fun."

...and coming from Ms. Sedintary 2000-2009, that's saying something!

Minima said...

I'm so excited that you & Mr. P are the guinea pigs for this! Golf Guy has been pining for a Wii & now that he's heard about your experiences with Wii Fit he's really upped the pressure to get one. I've told him that if you & Mr. P are still Wii Fitting in 3 months we'll look at getting one for Christmas. Keep us updated & have fun!

Minima said...

Oh & the "three month" thing is based on a review of Wii Fit that I read where the author stated that it's a great system but he didn't know anyone who was still using it after 3 months. I have no idea if that's true & since you're the only person I know with one you're my own personal focus group!