flickr

www.flickr.com

06 October, 2010

Senate Debate

(look, it was either this topic or one about my new fruity-scented cat litter. we'll probably get to the cat litter another day)

I watched Florida's US Senate debate tonight and came out with a few sad realizations:

1. Kendrick Meek is way outmatched. He reminded me of the speeches I heard from kids running for high school president. I hate to think he was the best candidate the Democrats had to offer.

2. If I agreed with half of Marco Rubio's positions, I'd vote for him in a heartbeat. He obviously believes what he's saying, he's passionate and articulate, and had facts to back up his positions. But I do believe in Obamacare, I don't think rich people will turn into apple sellers if their taxes are raised, I do think the stimulus was what we needed when we needed it, and I disagree with his positions on gay (erm, HUMAN) rights. The last point is almost enough to make me a single issue voter.

3. I think I'm going to vote for Charlie Crist. (yes, I did vomit a little in my mouth as I typed that) His current positions are my positions, he's more articulate than Meek, and if he flip-flops on less than half of the issues again then he's a reasonable choice for me. He's really unreliable though, which worries me. It's obvious his vote can be sold to the highest bidder (or the most powerful one).

I tuned in tonight wanting to get fired up and get back on Team D, but I just couldn't do it. I'm selling out to the candidate I believe has the best chance of defeating the far-right candidate. Even if that means voting for Chuck Putz.

Remind me to bring my nose plugs with me on election day...

No comments: