flickr

www.flickr.com

14 February, 2008

Adventures in Dining

Scott and I found ourselves spending more time and money dining out over the past few days than we would have preferred.  We ate breakfast at Chick Fil A on Tuesday and Cracker Barrel on Wednesday, skipped lunch both days, and ate dinner at sit-down places both nights.

Tuesday night, we went to Up The Creek, which is a chain that I had never heard of, but Scott has fond memories from college.  The menu can be summarized in three words: Southern/Deep Fried. We both had catfish for dinner, served with hush puppies and french fries (fried/fried/fried). And the appetizer platter: a combo of onion rings, chicken tenders, popcorn shrimp, hush puppies, chicken tenders, fried green tomatoes, and fried pickles.

Yeah, deep-fried pickles.

I'm shocked that we didn't have to sign a waiver acknowledging what we were about to do to our arteries!

Well, at least the peach cobbler wasn't deep-fried!

And then there was last night's adventure. I decided that I wanted a meal from a chain restaurant, because I was looking for something more along the lines of "comfort food" ("comfort" to me is just familiar food… not necessarily home-cooking).   We were driving down US 19 looking at the strange sights when I saw a friendly-looking dive with patio tables and umbrellas outside. It was called Pasco Patio. Well, I joked to Scott that we should eat there, and he said he didn't think they would serve us, since they were a furniture store.

Sure enough, those friendly patio tables outside were just a sampling of the entire store full of patio tables inside!  Oh, how I laughed.  I don't really know if this is something that the rest of the world would find funny, or if I just laughed because I was exhausted and cried-out.  But I still think it's funny.  A while down the road, we passed a Pier 1 Imports, and told Scott I had heard excellent things about their wine list.

We ended up at the Olive Garden, where I had the best thing they've ever put on their menu: steak gorgonzola alfredo.  I couldn't believe how good it was!

And now, my bank account and I are going to spend a few days in detox.  Nothing fried, nothing from a restaurant, and lots more fruits and veggies.

3 comments:

Janette said...

Mmmms, fried pickles! I just mentioned to mom yesterday that I was craving fried pickles. Weird, I know, but I haven't had them in years. Maybe I should dig out my deep fryer and try to find a recipe.

I hope you manage to get back to normal soon. Wishing you a few days of yummy fruits and veggies!

Anonymous said...

Girl! Take dem skinney veins back to the vegetable patch! Take it from one who knows! Five a day!

Anonymous said...

Michael found the Polish deli that my phlebotomist was talking about. It's actually less than a block from my house. They make their own kielbasa, pierogies, stuffed cabbages, and blintzes! Next time you're stuck on the west coast, I'll make sure you get treated right!