flickr

www.flickr.com

21 February, 2008

Florida Voter Fraud? You Decide

Note: I am not actually accusing anyone affiliated with the Lake County Supervisor of Elections of voter fraud.  I just found this interesting.

I bet many of you know that when I first moved back to Florida (right after the turn of the century) and traded in my NJ Driver's License for a Florida License, I registered to vote as a Democrat.  A few weeks after this, I was mailed my very first Voter Registration card, which showed a big fat R under my party affiliation.  Gah!

I had a good laugh about this, and then after the Bush-Gore debacle, I actually half-wondered whether there was a secret underground society of DMV people who try to force Republicanism on new drivers.  I doubted it.  After all, had I chosen to vote in that election (you remember - the one in my lifetime where my vote could have changed history), I could have done so regardless of my party affiliation.  And they did send me a corrected card once I notified them of the "mistake."

This week, Scott and I both received "official election mail" from our good friend Emogene Stegall. Both envelopes included our new voter registration cards.  I looked at my card and was elated (yep… elated) to see that our polling place has been moved from the local fire station to the library at the front of our apartment complex.  That's right, we can WALK to vote, then get a coffee at the coffee shop inside the library (yep… you read that right… the new library is practically a Barnes & Noble!), then walk a little further for some pizza or Chinese food to celebrate.

OK… there was a little tangent there.  Sorry.  The important thing to remember is that I had to look at my card to see that my polling place had changed.  Scott opened his envelope later on and left it on the table. I picked it up and realized that his envelope also included a letter in large bold font explaining that his polling place had changed, and exactly where and why and when the changes would take effect.

Please note that my husband the Republican got written notification of the change, and that I the Democrat received no such notification.

I smell a rat… a rate the size of an elephant!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

That rat smells like ASS!