flickr

www.flickr.com

26 June, 2008

Eating Well

Two quick photos for you:



The sashimi bento box at our favorite Japanese restaurant. I was a little skeeved out about eating raw fish without even any rice for back-up support, but enjoyed them all. I even liked the salmon better than I like cooked salmon! Also in the box: california rolls, dumplings and sticky rice.


Scrapple, currently cooking on the stove. Scott has never had scrapple, and he made the mistake of reading the label. ("It has tongue! Skin!") But I don't even have adequate words to describe the delicious smell coming from the kitchen. This is a meal worth being late to work for!

And yes, I had to put them both in the same entry because I'm thinking most people wouldn't be willing to eat either of these foods, and even those willing to try one would probably not enjoy the other. And amazingly enough, I'm guessing most Americans would be more willing to eat the sashimi!

7 comments:

Janette said...

Mm, sushi! Mm, scrapple!

What does Scott have against tongue?! There used to be this fabulous deli on Colonial that served a great chef's salad with smoked ox tongue. It's out of business now but I'm certain that it had nothing to do with the tongue.

How about head cheese? Does Scott like head cheese? Better yet, does he remember Nanny making head cheese? Heh. Now that may be why those photos on the French Laundry blog cracked me up so much...they brought back good memories.

Janette said...

Sorry, sashimi...Mm. Habit, can't really get sashimi around here.

Anonymous said...

I never had the head cheese mom got at the flea market, and I never remember Nanny making head cheese! That's one of those things that you are more than welcome to enjoy in good health, but I'll be over here thanks!

And I may have had tongue once in my life, dinner at church one Sunday and I think it may have been in one of the dishes brought in by the Thornhills. :)

Anonymous said...

How did Scott like the scrapple? Who are the Thornhills?

Janette said...

Yeah, how did Scott like the Scrapple?

The Thornhills were a family who went to our Church. They owned a farm and were responsible for a lot of our food adventures!

Anonymous said...

Scott kinda liked the scrapple. I offended Jamie GREATLY this morning by finishing the leftover scrapple by mixing it in a bowl of grits with a over easy egg. :) I discovered I like over easy eggs mixed into things while on our vacation in Atlanta when I had it with corned beef hash. But yeah.. Scrapple... who knew!

Minima said...

Shame on you! She's sick, you should have let her have the scrapple, butthead.

"I discovered I like over easy eggs mixed into things..."

Have you ever tried Salad Lyonnaise?

:: drool ::

The egg is poached, not over easy but, hey, poached eggs are easier to cook! If you decide to make it yourself just remember to use really tasty bacon and make your own croutons (a LOT easier than it sounds).