flickr

www.flickr.com

26 June, 2008

Good News: We've Compromised Your Credit

So...when Scott and I sold our Disney stock last month, apparently we set off a chain of events we weren't expecting. About the time we were depositing checks into our bank account to rebuild our CD to its former glory, the company that provides "stock transfer" services was losing boxes of back-up tapes with information including our names, address, SSN and information on our stock ownership.

oops!

Apparently this kind of gross negligence comes at a cost to the company: we each now have 24 months of free daily monitoring of credit reports and $25,000 in identity theft insurance.

Sweet!

Really, I'm not that concerned. But I'm certainly going to take advantage of the credit monitoring. Works out well for us, I'd say.

2 comments:

Janette said...

What a coinkidink! I was about to email you a link for free credit monitoring (courtesy of TransUnion losing a lawsuit).

Nevermind, unless you decide you need a backup...or you want the cash settlement. It's all explained here:
http://www.cnn.com/2008/LIVING/personal/06/16/credit.score/index.html (Long a** url left in public comments to benefit my fellow readers.)

Sorry to hear about the potential loss of personal information. Scary!

Anonymous said...

I think you're right not to worry. It won't do any good anyway!