flickr

www.flickr.com

29 June, 2008

Under the Wire

Phew! I'm glad that's over with!

I just applied for a job.

That's ironic, considering that I promised The Boss that I'd stay there another year if he would get me my own phone line and let me learn expense reports. He agreed to both and turned over the phone line to Number Two. It's been a month, and he hasn't done so much as call Telecomm Services to get the ball rolling. As for expense reports, The Boss just got back from a business trip and he's still having someone else do them. Needless to say, I don't really feel guilty about applying for this job.

Plus, this is *my* job - the one I've wanted since the last time it opened up. It's a secretary job, in The Hotel, reporting to The Boss's boss, and assisting the rest of the Food & Beverage team. Sadly, that boss has recently taken a position elsewhere in The Company, and the new guy (whom I haven't even met yet) is from "the outside." [insert ominous "ooh" here]

The last time this job was posted, I technically met all of the required qualifications. I didn't apply for it because I didn't really think I had enough experience, and at that time I wasn't even ready to contemplate leaving my current job. This time, a few new bullet points were added to the requirements, which may keep me from even getting an interview. My biggest concern? "Minimum 2 years professional administrative experience in The Company." See, I've been at The Restaurant just shy of 2 years, and even this is pushing "administrative" a little farther than I think they're willing to go.

My guess is that my resume won't even get past the HR computer system. However, I did mention to The Boss that I was thinking about applying. He thinks I'm totally qualified, as does his former boss, but I didn't see the job posting until Friday and he had his head so far up his own @$$ working on month-end inventory that he didn't even notice the jug of orange juice and the box of cough drops on my desk. I doubt he's inclined to make any calls on my behalf.

I had to have Scott log into my work account and send me my resume, because God Forbid it be where I need it when I need it! And I even wrote a cover letter explaining why I feel I am uniquely qualified for the position (despite the lack of actual experience!), hoping that might buy me a second look.

The application deadline is 11:59 tonight, and I submitted mine at 11:37. Like I said, I'm glad that's over with! And now, the waiting game!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You've done the hardest part already! Despite all the logic to the contrary, merely putting yourself out there is the hardest thing to do!
Good for you!

Minima said...

Oooof!!!! Stoopid computer system! WTH happened to potential employers making phone calls to find out if an applicant was qualified? Here's hoping that you make it past the gatekeepers.

Best of luck! Fingers crossed! Prayers up!

Seriously, wishing you the very best.