flickr

www.flickr.com

02 July, 2008

Well...

I got an interview.

Woo Hoo!

Of course, don't pat me on the back too much. Poor Scott had about an hour this afternoon of absolutely not knowing what to do with me. When I got the voicemail, I leaned down with my head between my legs like I was going to pass out. When I hung up from the voicemail, I yelled "woo hooooo" long enough to spook the cats. And I alternated between happy dance and wide-eyed "oh shit, I am a crappy interviewer!" terror for the next half hour.

And then things got REALLY interesting. The girl who called me to set up a "preliminary interview" identified herself as being with Resort Food & Beverage. I assumed that meant someone in the HR area - a pee-on if you will - who was weeding through the initial stack of applicants who made it past the computer system.

(Can I get a hallelujah! that I made it past the computer system??)

When I called her back to actually schedule the interview, I got her voicemail (no shock - it was after 5:00). She's not a pee-on in HR. She's the assistant to the F&B director of all of the resorts.

This means my interview is with my boss's boss's boss.

Holy Shit!

Side Note: At this point, I actually started weeping. Why? Well, I wondered that too. On my way home from rehearsal tonight, I think I finally decided on the best analogy. On American Idol, they have those massive cattle call auditions where you sing for some producers, then you sing for some other people, THEN you sing for the judges (the part you see on TV) and they decide whether or not to send you into the actual competition. This is my "you're going to Hollywood" moment. Sure, there's still more steps to come, but I'm just so thrilled to at this point be potentially good enough to get the job.

Anyway, I guess since the new guy (boss's boss) is brand new to the company, they decided to have BBB do a first round of interviews and then maybe only send one or two who can actually do the job to interview with the actual person they'd be working for.

So for now, I'm trying to just remember to breathe. They are scheduling interviews beginning on the 14th, so I definitely have some time to kill. It's time for me to buy myself a new interview suit, and I'll have to do that on Monday or Tuesday next week.

I also know how close The Boss and BBB are. I'm sort of hoping he'll go to bat for me on this one and give me a helluva recommendation. It's a best-case scenario for him if I stay within The Hotel, because I'll still be available to train my replacement and help cover shifts on occasion. If I get a job elsewhere, he'll pretty much be kissing my butt goodbye.

So that's where things stand. I'm hoping that the butterflies in my stomach will go away soon. Also, it would be nice if my mind would stop racing 1,000 miles a minute. Please, brain? Slow down just a bit? Thanks!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

It's so cool and so scary when the stakes are this high! Even if you get voted off the island, you still got onto the show!
Congratulations!

Minima said...

A great big WOOO HOOO!!!! here too!

Ugh, an interview! I hate interviews, hatethem hatethem hatethem, so I sympathize. At least you have time to shop for a nice suit and do some deep breathing exercises.

Wishing you the very, very best of luck!