flickr

www.flickr.com

15 July, 2008

Well, It Didn't Totally Suck...

So...I guess I should start by correcting a mistake I made in this post. My interview was scheduled not with the boss I thought it was, but with her executive assistant. Well that makes sense!

And when I arrived yesterday for my interview, I found out that the assistant had called in and the interviews were now being done by the guy who is the hiring manager for all of the restaurant managers. OK, curve ball, but no big deal.

"Do you have a resume on you?" Umm... no. Shit. I have never been to an interview within the company when my resume wasn't already there on the table before I arrived. And I imagine the girl who was supposed to be doing the interviews probably had the resumes locked in her desk. So I, total professional that I am, ask if I can log onto his computer and print one off my virtual drive.

Of course, the one on the drive wasn't the most current incarnation, but it wasn't too bad. At least it was up-to-date on my work experience.

I'm choosing to not re-live the interview, because I don't want to get bogged down with all those "coulda shoulda woulda's." I did leave with the feeling that I didn't blow it. I also feel like I'm probably not going to get the job, but that I'm not completely out of the running yet.

Two direct-ish quotes:

"With your current job and your background, I definitely feel that you're a candidate..."

"...there are some existing Secretary 1's (that's the title of the position I applied for) who applied." (which means I'm not the most qualified)

I decided to fight for myself though, and wrapped up telling him that I'm not inexperienced completely, that a lot of what I do for my bosses is secretary work, and that I bring knowledge of systems that most secretaries don't know, or at least don't use as frequently as I do, and that I'm a fast learner. It was sort of the equivalent of "I'm not disabled - I'm differently abled."

So we'll see what happens. It'll probably be a week or two before I hear anything... if I hear anything. If this wasn't my time, that's ok. I'm going to force my bosses to give me some more applicable experience. And eventually I'll get out of there.

3 comments:

Minima said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

What a great attitude you have about the situation. I sure hope you get to go soon ... I know how you like change, and it's probably time to move on.

How are your peepers?

Minima said...
This comment has been removed by the author.