flickr

www.flickr.com

20 December, 2008

Cricket!

A tale of why it'll be a cold day in Hades before I order from a certain retailer's website again

I ordered 3 clearance items from a certain online department store who shall remain nameless, but whose initials are JCP. The package was shipped by UPS and arrived on Thursday. Since I work on Thursday, the package was conveniently delivered to the rental office.

I picked up my package yesterday on my way to work. The nice lady in the rental office (as opposed to Fatty McBigHair, whom I usually deal with) checked my photo ID and went into their storage room, returning with a large box that had been really beaten up. She said to me, "this is a squeaky package!"

She went on to tell me that the UPS guy mentioned that the box was squeaking in his truck and thinks "it's alive." It sat in their office all day, chirp-chirping away, until she finally went in to investigate. Since the box was already beaten up, she opened the flap a tiny bit and a cricket popped right out of the box! "And then I think it went back in. But we haven't heard it all today, so it's probably dead."

Well, you know me: "I don't want that in my car!!!" So she was very nice and opened the box for me, pulled out my three articles of clothing, which, as warehouse purchases are usually, were wrapped in plastic and had no cricket cooties inside them. There, in the bottom of the box, were not one or two, but three dead crickets! OK, two dead crickets and one that was belly-up, legs curled, but still wiggling its antennae. She even dumped the crickets outside and disposed of the box for me.

Eventually I'm going to get around to calling JCP's customer service to tell them that they sent me live bugs. I doubt they'll care. If they do care, I may shop there again, because I really like the stuff that I bought. But I'm doubtful. Besides, I just keep thinking about what would have happened if we had been home and those nasty hopping, squeaking roaches got loose in my apartment... or if the rental office hadn't warned me and I had gotten them in my car.

**shudder**

I need to send a thank-you note to that girl in the office!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

eeeewwwwwwwwwwwwwww!

Minima said...

Agreed, ewwwww! They sent you BUGS!!! Yuck! I guess you should be thankful that they were *just* crickets as opposed to, well, I don't even want to think about it. :: shudder ::

Data Byte said...

Consider that the box was in very bad shape, so I really don't think it made it out of the shipping warehouse @ JCP that way. They have quality control for that AND UPS would not have picked up a box in such poor condition anyway. UPS has standards!
BUT, they also pay minimum wage for delivery drivers and package shippers so I would look to UPS for damages more than JCP.