flickr

www.flickr.com

21 December, 2008

Willy Wonka I Am Not!

I got a tower-o-chocolate for Christmas from The Boss. One of the things in the tower was a pack of Ghirardelli dark chocolate "drops." At first, I thought they were just bigger Kisses, but then I realized that they would make an excellent product to melt and dip stuff in.

So this morning I made chocolate covered pretzels. We didn't have pretzel-shaped pretzels, so I used the skinny rods we bought for the houses. The chocolate melted beautifully, but as soon as I started, I realized there was going to be a problem. I had planned on holding them at one end and dipping the rest of the pretzel in chocolate, leaving a little handle to pick them up for consumption. Unfortunately, the bowl was too wide and flat, and I got as much chocolate on my knuckles as the pretzel. So I tossed it right in the chocolate. I did them 5 at a time, tossed them around, and used chopsticks to pull them out.

I made 20.

With the remaining chocolate, I decided to cover some banana coins. Tons went wrong in this step, including cooled chocolate hardening and reheated chocolate turning into brownie-like state. I pulled the bananas out of the chocolate and mixed in a little bit of milk, which seemed to work. Since the bananas already had random chocolate lumps on them, I figured they were never going to be pretty. So I just dumped the remaining chocolate on top of them. Now there's a little plate in the freezer of what looks suspiciously like lumps of poo. Hopefully they taste better than they look!

Perhaps it's best that I go to work now and leave the chocolate dipping to the experts.

2 comments:

Minima said...

Hm, it doesn't sound pretty but I'll bet it's tasty!

My vocablurry word (is that the correct spelling mamajoy?) is flush. I think the Blogger word verification system has begun to editorialize. ;-P

Anonymous said...

You don't have any good ideas unless you have a lot of ideas! The mark of a good chef is the willingness to play "what if" ... so I think you're well on your way to reflecting you Grandfather L.A.W.! Yaaaa!!

and btw, my vocablurry word today is amenali ... which I read amen ally! How prophetic!