flickr

www.flickr.com

14 December, 2008

So This Is It?

Wow. 3 months before 30, and I officially feel OLD. I'm working the phones trying to get someone to cover my shift. Why? Nope, not a hangover from a night spent partying. Because there's something wicked going on with my back and I can barely turn my head and can't lift my right arm 45 degrees. If I could get to work, I could probably do my job (well, most of it). But there's no way I can drive.

In case you were wondering, no. This isn't the same back issue I was dealing with last week. Well maybe it is. I had almost the exact same problem on the left side last Tuesday. Yesterday morning was the first time I was actually able to lay on my left side. And this morning all of a sudden the right side was throbbing. Needless to say, this weekend's planned diversions have been replaced by finding a new chiropractor.

So I'm feeling old. And then this news story came to my attention. How cruel that a staple of life in my hometown should be shuttered!

Olga's Diner, a landmark on the Marlton Circle here since 1959, has served its last cup of coffee, its owner said Thursday.

John Stavros, the aging patriarch of Olga's founding family, said a lack of family support and staffing, and mounting debt contributed to his decision to close the eatery's doors for good.

I didn't like the food, thought their desserts were terrible, and the waitstaff were mostly stereotypical old rude diner wenches. But I have a lot of really good (and some important) memories there. This paragraph in the article actually made me laugh out loud (which, by the way, really hurt!):

He said in an interview in November that he failed to keep up with both internal and external renovations for years because he wasn't sure what would become of the property after construction of the overpass, which has been in the works since the mid-1990s.

By "for years," did he mean since the mid-80's? That place hadn't changed one tiny bit since we moved to Marlton when I was in the third grade!

Well that's that. I'm sad that Scott never got the chance to experience Olga's in all its glory. Well, maybe the Med-Port is still there?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

That's very sad! A South Jersey Icon! Where will servers with bunions go NOW?