flickr

www.flickr.com

13 March, 2009

Why I Heart Jon Stewart


After seeing the build-up to the Stewart-Cramer interview, there was no way I was going to miss last night's Daily Show. I expected the typical light-hearted poo slinging TDS interview, and was shocked by the three segment tongue lashing that I watched.

I'm having a lot of trouble coming up with truly intelligent analysis, so here's some bullet points:

  • Why is Jon Stewart the only one holding CNBC accountable for calling themselves journalists but not actually objectively reporting?
  • I would watch a real 6:30 news show anchored by Stewart. I realize he went to William & Mary and is incredibly intelligent, but I didn't realize he had it in him to do a real interview.
  • Actually, I think he did something similar to...umm...the super-religious presidential candidate whose name escapes me at the moment.
  • I'm really pissed off at every hedge fund and day trader playing around with my 401(k).
  • I'm also shocked at the CNBC commercial that they showed at the beginning of Part Two. "In Cramer We Trust?" Who is "we" and why do they trust him???

So that's it. I heart Jon Stewart. We already knew that. But after last night, I heart him even more!

2 comments:

Minima said...

"Actually, I think he did something similar to...umm...the super-religious presidential candidate whose name escapes me at the moment."

The Huckabeast or Huckapoo? Actually I call him by so many weird names at times I have a hard time remembering his real name.

I could go all ranty about Cramer but I'm trying to work on not letting idiots like him raise my blood pressure. He's a loud mouthed idiot. The Jerry Springer of finance, if you will.

FWIW - my opinion is that the market won't be a safe investment (except for purely speculative plays) until the SEC reinstates the uptick rule. I expect all gains from this week to be wiped out again once the short sellers get back in the game.

John Stewart did a fantastic job in the interview. He took a very even handed, mostly serious approach that I think surprised a lot of people. Hey, if Olbermann can go from sportscaster to news anchor there's no reason Stewart can't go from talk show host to...well wherever he wants. I hope he keeps HIS show, though. Being a talking head on a "real" news channel will just put too many restrictions on him. Why tow the company line for someone else when he can just tweak his own show to suit himself? Besides, he's so darn good at what he does now.

Anonymous said...

They're calling them "201k's" nowadays!