flickr

www.flickr.com

12 January, 2010

Delicate Flour

I have 10 minutes until I have to leave the house, and I haven't yet packed dinner for tonight, so please pardon my brevity as I stop to pat myself on the back.

I made biscuits this morning - from scratch(!) - and in the process I started a new bag of all-purpose flour. Why is this noteworthy? Well you see, we brought a canister of AP flour when we moved that had been in the apartment longer than either of us could remember. It smelled a little off, so consider the shelf life of flour. I think it's maybe the second bag we've had since we got married. I finished off the old flour in my inaugural/experimental batch of sugar cookies back in the beginning of December.

And I finished off the new bag of flour this morning.

That's FIVE POUNDS of flour in just about a month!

That's eight or ten dozen sugar cookies for Christmas gifts and snacks, a few rounds of Amish friendship bread, two apple pies, and some other odds and ends.

Anyway, wow! Who knew a stand mixer and some counter space would completely change my cooking philosophy? I think the current five pound bag will last a little longer. But those biscuits this morning were awfully tasty...

1 comment:

mamajoy said...

And unbeknownst to you, you did it on your popop's birthday ... and he was a chef! How cool!