flickr

www.flickr.com

13 January, 2010

Team Conan

I doubt there's anything I could add to the Leno-Conan debate that hasn't been said elsewhere, but for what it's worth:

Jay Leno is pulling a Brett Favre. The difference is when Favre flip-flopped on his retirement plans, the Packers honored the commitment they had made to their replacement quarterback. That NBC is short-sighted enough to not understand that some day the young demographic that watches Conan will be the majority, and that people who can tolerate Jay Leno are dying off or just can't stay up that late anymore, boggles my mind. And even if they don't understand that, they should at least honor the agreement they made with Conan. And Leno should retire gracefully and go play with his cars.

Conan's statement yesterday exhibited what a class act he is. And it also reminded me that this is an incredibly smart (Harvard-educated) man who also happens to be funny. To tell the truth, I was surprised that he said he wouldn't do the 12:05 show that NBC was offering. I really thought that all of the players would just shift and make room at the table for Crazy Uncle Jay. I don't blame him though. When your boss makes promises he's not willing to keep, it shows you just who you're really working for. I don't think I'd want to work for NBC either, knowing the complete lack of character they are displaying right now.

If I actually watched any NBC shows, I'd consider boycotting. Moot point though - I pretty much stopped watching NBC when Friends ended.

1 comment:

wickedmess said...

Well said! I'm on Team Conan, too. I was barely paying attention until his statement yesterday. That totally won me over. Not that it matters, I don't think I've watched an entire Tonight Show since Johnny Carson left.