flickr

www.flickr.com

01 October, 2008

Food & Wine Part One

WARNING: This entry is *way* photo-heavy. But we all like pictures, right?
Scott and I spent this weekend working our way through the World Showcase like grazing livestock, eating all sorts of interesting foods - most really good, some colossally terrible. Here's our full Food & Wine Festival experience, in the order of the Festival Guide:

(and before you judge too harshly, please remember these pictures were taken over the span of two days and 3-4 meal periods and fed both of us)
With each photo is a description of the food/beverage and a rating on a scale of 1-5 from Scott and/or I.


(top left) From the Chile booth: Dulce de Leche (we also had the Empanada, which was delicious, but ate it before I could take the picture!)

Scott: 3
Jamie: 3
(middle) From the "Mouse Catch" booth: Trio of cheeses - Dorothea, Manchego, Asiago

Scott: 5
Jamie: 5 (none were too stinky for us, and the man at the booth gave a great spiel for each and told me what order to eat them in)


(top right) Marqués de Caceres Rioja.
Jamie: 4. Awesome pairing, and even Scott appreciated it, but we both agree that a port would've been better.


Argentina:

(left) Beef with Chimichurri Sauce
Scott: 3
Jamie: 3 - tastes like pesto to me!
(right) Beef and Corn Pie
Scott: 3
Jamie: 3




Spain:
Seared Tuna Loin with Spicy Red Pepper Coulis and Garlic-Herb Ciabatta
Scott: 2.5 - Tuna was good, not good enough to cover the red peppers
Jamie: 3

Bodegas...Rosé
Jamie: fruity, worked well with the red peppers. It's nothing I'd seek out again





Austria:

(left) Tafelspitz - beef brisket with horseradish sauce and red-skin potato
Scott: 3.5
Jamie: 4 - I had a bite of this on night #1 when I was super-full and went back of day #2 to try it again!
(below) Goulash with Bacon Dumpling
Scott: 3
Jamie: 3 - tasty beef stew, neither of us really cared for the texture of the dumpling








China:
(left) Pork Pot Stickers
Scott: 3.5
Jamie: 3.5 - Just like what you'd find at the local Chinese take-out
(right) Chicken Sha Cha
Scott: 2.5
Jamie: 1.5 - Something about this one made me gag. Didn't like the sauce, and didn't like the chicken. ick!
India:
Samosa with Tamarind Sauce
Scott: -1
Jamie: 1
Had I known it would be this awful, I would have taken a picture of Scott tasting it. The filling was too spicy, the curry was too overwhelming, and even the tamarind sauce (we have enjoyed tamarind in the past) tasted like it was laced with habanero peppers!
Australia
(next two photos)
Pepperberry Prawns on the Barbie with Sweet Potato Hash
Scott: 3.5 - Slightly peppery with a nice sweetness. The hash was good but peppery.
Yewllowglen "Pink" Sparkling Wine
Jamie: 3.5 - I liked it, even though it wasn't as pink as I thought it would be. This wine is sold in our local Publix, and was tasty enough that next time I'm in the mood for something sparkling I'll consider it.
Wattleseed Mousse
Jamie: 3 - The description included "coffee soaked lady fingers," so I was expecting something like tiramisu. It was good, but not as good as that. At least the seeds didn't get stuck in my teeth!
Chilled Barramundi Fish with a Fennel Slaw
Scott: 2
Jamie: 1 - Cold fish? None for me unless it's sushi!
Germany
Regensburger Sausage with Sauerkraut in a Pretzel Roll
Scott: 4 - Only complaint was the seasoning of the brat (too mild). The pretzel roll was moist and the sauerkraut was good too.
This brings us to the end of Part One. Stay tuned for beer, mojitos, "lamb sliders" and more!

1 comment:

Minima said...

Mmm, tasty!

:: sigh :: Ah, Manchego cheese, I miss it so! It's my favorite cheese, that's for sure. Our local Publix used to sell a 1/4lb for about $6 but in the last year it's gone to $12! Needless to say that's way too rich for my blood.