flickr

www.flickr.com

01 October, 2008

Food & Wine Part Three

Don't skip ahead! Start with part one and part two!

Louisiana

Seafood Gumbo
Scott: 3.5
Jamie: 1 - *gag* tasted like rotten fish to me!

Crawfish Etouffée
Scott: 4
Jamie: 4 - I thought it would be too spicy, but I found it delightful.

Abita "Purple Haze" Beer
Scott: 3 - It was good, but no Sam Adams

Praline Bread Pudding with Bourbon Caramel Sauce
Scott: 2.5 - cloyingly sweet
Jamie: 2.5 - what he said...and way too many pecans

Free Mini Tabasco Bottles: Priceless!
Turkey
Manti with Yogurt Sauce
(Note: manti is a spicy beef ravioli)
Scott: 4 - sour to the point of being sweet
Jamie: 4 - would've been a 5 if it didn't look like a pile of vomit! I really enjoyed it!







Canada

Chateau des Charmes Riesling
Jamie: 4 - I got carded when I ordered this! The first wine I had at the Festival, I can't tell you a thing about it, but I remember that I liked it!

Cheddar Cheese Soup
Scott: 4.5
Jamie: 5 - A festival favorite every year, though the predominant flavor in the soup is bacon, not cheese!


Vidal Icewine
Jamie: 5
Scott: 5 - Thick, sweet, with a honey after-taste. "Scotty like dee expensive wine!"


And Last But Not Least...




Puerto Rico

(left) Mofongo
(beef with green plantains, pork cracklings, shrimp and something like salsa)
Scott: 2.5
Jamie: 2 - the salsa was a redeeming feature. Both of us could see how this could be tasty if made well and served fresh, but this wasn't.


(right) "Gypsy's Arm" Guava Jelly Roll
Scott: 5 - tasty! I don't usually like guava, and this was very sweet, but sweet in a good way.
Jamie: 5 - first thing I had on day #1, last thing I had on day #2.
Plantain and Beef Casserole
Scott: 4.5 (once we scraped some of the diced red peppers off the top)
Jamie: 5 - Scott wants to learn how to make this, and I'm going to let him!

Frozen Mojito

Scott: 5 - Even though it was a "slushie" it was very well balanced. They used Bacardi Limon, which I usually don't like, but in this case it worked!
Jamie: 4.5 - I was shocked that you could still taste the mint so well without any actual pieces of mint in the drink!


So that's our culinary world tour. We hope you are drooling on your keyboard right now.


...and I would like to leave you with two photos of Scott - a study of mojitos - taken at the start of day #1, and the end of day #2. That's how you know we were on vacation!!

1 comment:

Minima said...

Hm, frozen mojito - now that sounds refreshing!

Bravo for making me jealous and all drool-y!

Actually, now I really want some empanadas but I can't think of anywhere around here that serves them. I guess that means I'll have to make them myself and you're to blame! Not too hard really if I can just figure out a way to get out of making the dough myself. Because I'm soooo lazy when it comes to any kind of dough making not because it's hard but because I always make such a mess!!!

Thanks again for the great food posts!