flickr

www.flickr.com

05 September, 2007

Not Quite Idiot Proof

So it turns out caramel corn isn't really that easy to make. We have a pot luck coming up at work on Sunday, and I have a chocolate-drizzled caramel corn recipe I wanted to try out.

Good thing I tried it out!

Batch #1 never even got off the ground. After adding all the ingredients, the pot came to a boil before I was ready for it and I burned the peanuts. Yikes!

Batch #2 didn't burn. But I learned that when they say "large pot," they mean it. I was supposed to stir the popcorn into the pot, but there was too much corn to even attempt to mix. So the popcorn wasn't covered evenly. And then it didn't get crunchy. I ended up with something that was really tasty, but was more like a Snickers bar with popcorn than Cracker Jacks. We ate almost all of it in giant sticky handfuls over the cookie sheet.

I was thinking about making a third test batch today, since we still have almost a whole bag of already-popped corn getting stale in a bowl on the counter, but Scott is sick (food poisoning... but not from this!) and I don't want to risk burning another batch of caramel (doubled, for greater popcorn coverage) and having to evacuate him from the apartment. Maybe I'll try the microwave or (gasp!) actually using the cooking thermometer.

Any other pot luck ideas? If nothing else, I'll just have to fall back on peanut butter-banana bread.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Poor Scott! Food poisoning is so hard to live with! Hope he's all better by the time you see this comment.

Your goopy mistake looked pretty good! Publish a picture if you make a batch suitable for sharing with people at YOUR work!

Today's vocablurry word: cgnuuio

Janette said...

WHY would you cheat people out of your peanut butter banana bread?

If you must try something new, may I suggest pie? Any pie will do.

I hope Scott is feeling better.