flickr

www.flickr.com

30 September, 2007

Who Did This To You?

Scalzi's Weekend Assignment : What's the worst clothing ensemble you can recall wearing? I expect we'll get a lot of bridesmaid and prom night nightmares in this one, but anything's up for grabs, and in deed, if it was something you thought was fashionable at the time and now have come to regret, so much the better. Confess! You'll feel better.
I have just to words to introduce my fashion nightmare: Color Guard. I imagine most of the people who will stumble across this entry went to high school, or maybe even college. I also imagine that a fair amount went to a football game during that time. So you are probably already giggling. Stop it! Whatever you are picturing, mine was probably worse.

The school colors: Orange, Brown and White (fight! fight! fight!).

The fabric of choice: white spandex with orange sequins.

Now in the three years I was in the color guard, we had three different uniforms. The first year was definitely the worst: it was a one-piece white spandex long-sleeve pant suit with orange sequins covering one arm and half of the torso (diagonally). Now those of you who remember marching band probably also remember that color guard isn't a sport and therefore doesn't really attract girls who are physically fit. And did I mention the SPANDEX???


Extra Credit: Are you kidding? Pictures, people!

I don't have any pictures of me in said sparkly ensemble from Hell, but I do have another Color Guard picture. This is a spandex dress (who knew spandex could make puffed sleeves?) with a separate sequin vest. It, by the way, is the least offensive of the three outfits we wore, which might explain why it's the only one with a surviving picture!

2 comments:

Marciepooh said...

Have to say that I don't think uniforms should have been included but those sound bad.

At my high schools the color guard was mostly made up of the legions of clarinetist, who would've over balanced the band, and the double reed players. We still had a lot of girls who didn't need to be wearing spandex. One year the uniform was a black bodysuit with a short sequined jacket (perfect for showing off those rears). Thank God, for winter guard they changed it to the body suit and a skirt.

Anonymous said...

I don't believe you ever made a fashion faux pas. That's something pretty remarkable, isn't it! Your taste has always been classical.