flickr

www.flickr.com

27 July, 2007

And Now, Some Hot Tea

Opening night of "Hollywood..." was awesome. Everything that could sound good did (there's a small handful of soloists who must be good at fellatio... not mentioning any names or songs), and the audience clapped and laughed in all the right places. I'm high on applause right now. This is good, because I'll be able to talk about my afternoon without gritting my teeth and clenching my fists.

I threw my performance dress in the wash last night with some other dark clothes, and we left in in the washer over night so that it wouldn't sit in the dryer and wrinkle beyond redemption over night. I ended up pulling the dress out of the dryer and hanging it up right after Scott left for work, around 2:00. At that point I noticed 2 things: 1) the dress isn't quite as thick as I thought and I wasn't sure whether I was giving a peep show up under the stage lights, and 2) there were lots of strings hanging from random places on the dress.

So I grabbed the closest pair of scissors and started snipping threads. I got to one thread right on the boob dart, pulled it taut to snip it close, and ended up pulling a good 8" of thread right out of the dress, causing the dart to pop. And it was noticeable. My internal monologue went something along the lines of "shitshitshitshitshitshitshit." So after my shower, I made an emergency Wal Mart run.

I know that somewhere in the apartment we have tan thread and we have a pack of sewing needles. I didn't know where they are, but I did know myself well enough that had I called Scott to ask where the needles were I would have ended up yelling at him. So for the sake of my marriage, I bought not only black thread, but also a pack of 45 needles (for $2). I also bought a black dressy(?) shirt just in case I couldn't fix the dart. I figured I'd just wear it with a black skirt. And I got a black full slip just in case I could wear the dress.

Well, I was able to fix the dart with about 20 minutes of work (5 of that threading the needle and knotting the thread, and another 5 trying to stop the remainder of the original thread from unraveling). The seam is puckered and not pretty, but it's presentable. And I'm in the back row, so it really doesn't make too much of a difference. The dress is back in the wash now. I'll be checking my handiwork in the morning to make sure it held.

So anyway, crisis averted. By the way, for anyone planning on seeing the show, I recommend getting to the parking lot by 7 pm. Thursdays are historically our slowest shows (or so I hear), and we were about 2/3 full tonight. Plus, there's an amusing slide show and fun music beforehand.

3 comments:

Janette said...

Congratulations! It sounds like you had a great time.

The dress is BEAUTIFUL! So pretty, maybe after this is all over you can take it to a seamstress and get it repaired without the pucker?

Here's hoping your voice holds out until Saturday's performance!

Anonymous said...

Such a nice dart!
I heard people in the audience commenting on it!
And that's the gospel truth!

Anonymous said...

And another thing ... now you have the woman's classic essential: the black dress!