flickr

www.flickr.com

01 July, 2007

Elvis Has Left the Kitchen

Does anybody know what today is? That's right, it's pot luck day! My plan was to make 2 loaves of banana bread to bring to work, but then Scott made a puppy dog face, so I got enough bananas for three loaves.

Last night on my way home, I stopped at Wal Mart for a secret ingredient. That trip was mercifully quick. Thank God for self check-out! No waiting if you're willing to "beep your own."


I got home, changed into shorts, pulled my hair back, and commenced the baking process. Three batches worth. That's 6 cups of flour, 6 eggs, 9 bananas, and some other stuff. Also, because I wanted to make sure everything was even, I used 3 bowls to keep the batches separate. Please don't judge - this made sense to me.


By the time Scott got home, the three loaves were in the oven. Two had the secret ingredient and one didn't. And all of my dishes were in the sink. Whosagoodgirl???


Well, something went wonky with my bread. One, despite the Clean Toothpick Seal of Doneness, was clearly not. I left it in for another 10 minutes, but was concerned that the cheap disposable loaf pans might cause the bottoms to burn. It turns out the only real problem with the disposable pans is that there are two in the pack and it turns out you should use them together as one because they're flimsy and don't support a full load of batter. Both pans buckled/bulged in weird places.


So that one with the clean toothpick? I waited 15 minutes after they came out of the oven, turned that one out onto a plate, and cut into it. And it thought it was a lava cake! Ooze! Damnit!

I'm fairly sure that the center of the loaf in the other cheap pan is also not done (note the dent in the top). I figure I'll slice up both of those and put them in a container to take to work - that way I can trim out the un-done parts.

So what was the secret ingredient? Peanut butter chips! I have to say, the chips elevate the bread to a whole new place. Really, ask Scott. It's fabulous. The bread is so much richer, and is definitely more suited for dessert than for breakfast. Not that I didn't have any for breakfast... but I probably shouldn't have.

Next project: figure out how to incorporate bananas into peanut butter cookies. But for today, I feast!

5 comments:

Janette said...

Mm, adding the peanut butter chips does sound tasty! I wonder how it would be with milk chocolate chips? The chocolate/banana combo is one of my favorite taste sensations.

Jamie the ParkHopper said...

I'll make you one for Christmas!!

Janette said...

I'll hold you to that promise!

Anonymous said...

I think I know how to get banana in peanutbutter cookies ... whatever the quantity of peanut butter is called for ... make a third of it banana. I'm pretty sure it'll work, and you'll get the banana flavor ... and if it DOES work, you can write the instructions in good grammar!
And, just to be helpful ... you can practice Janette's Christmas gift on me ... maybe like the end of this month? Mmmm?

Anonymous said...

FYI, Peanut Butter Chips in the bread... OMG!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Great stuff. I took a half of a loaf to work for a select few, and it was gone in about 2 minutes... that's just because Peggy made everyone wait until she sliced it! Jamie made me another loaf with the three leftover banana's from the other day, and get this... she thinks I am going to take it to work and share!!!! buah ha hahahahaha!!!!