flickr

www.flickr.com

14 August, 2007

Big Day

I had a follow-up doctor appointment today (got to see my "beautiful" empty uterus live on a TV screen...that was thrilling!), so Scott and I took the opportunity to hit some of our favorite spots that are a ways down I-4:

* Sweet Tomatoes for lunch: Tomorrow ends their two weeks of Italian specials. Lucky for us, we went today and had pesto pasta salad and caprese pasta salad. Both were superb. And of course, sweet potatoes, cooked to a tasty mush and topped with honey butter. mmmm

* Then we went to Books a Million to pick up some books. I picked up Sammy's House for only 10% off the list price. Would've been cheaper at ANY other bookstore. But that's ok because Scott got some true crime book, and I picked up two old library books (actual library books with the stickers from their actual libraries inside) for $3 each. I could've spent $100 on those $3 books, but exercised restraint.

* Then we went to Bass Pro Shop because Scott wanted bullets and a holster for the gun that I pretend isn't in our apartment. That whole trip was quite traumatic for me. The whole giant store smells like pipe tobacco, there are giant dead animal carcases around every turn, the employees demonstrate laser sights when you're not expecting to see a red dot appear, there is a "Shootin' Arcade" where Dad can teach his son to kill without the noise, recoil, or blood, they sell living room furniture with tacky "woodsman" patterns, and there is an entire section full of camouflage tops, bottoms, boots, hats, and ghille suits. (with serial killers possibly hidden among them) And don't bother looking for the country-fried bathrooms - they're camouflaged too! Oh - and of course there's all sorts of guns and gun-related equipment. The worst part? I only went along because there's a Cold Stone Creamery in the attached mall. Which has recently closed. No ice cream? Talk about traumatic! I practically had to be sedated in the car on the way home.

Tomorrow should be a little more subdued. Scott has a meeting, and we have to grocery shop. And last I checked, there were no furry dead animals at the grocery store!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Judging by today's entry, I take it you're not happy with The New Price Is Right! They're giving away fur coats and safari trips! And they have new games ... shoot the bunny, trap the fox!

Jamie the ParkHopper said...

I don't personally care for fur, but I'd be a hypocrite if I showed off my suede jacket or leathe shoes and then said "fur is murder" just because the animals who made it are cuter and fluffier than cows.

As for safaris, they generally don't let you SHOOT the animals these days.

I just don't like guns. And I don't think hunting for recreation is in any way appropriate unless you're eating what you kill.

And did I mention that there could have been 10 serial killers hiding amongst the camouflage clothing racks?!?!?!?