flickr

www.flickr.com

18 August, 2007

Pick a Day, Any Day

Scalzi's Weekend Assignment: Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday and Friday: of all the days of the work week, which is your favorite? Yes, I know a lot of people will default toward Friday, because it's an easy one, but I hope you will actually put some thought into your response and give each day its due. If you finally settle on Friday, fair enough. But even Monday has its good points, you know?

Well John, I've got you on a technicality here. I work a goofy shift - four 10-hour days with Monday/Tuesday/Wednesday off. So of the days you mentioned, Monday is definitely my favorite. Because it's my day off without Mr. ParkHopper, I get to sit at home and just vegetate all day. I even get to control the TV remote (which never happens otherwise)! Occasionally I'll do a load of laundry or wash dishes, but for the most part I just watch DVDs and play on the computer.

Of my own work days, Sundays are my favorite. But not because it's "my Friday." Friday and Saturday nights are quite busy at The Restaurant, and most of my energy is focused on making sure the tiny details of the day are taken care of. Sundays are my get-things-done day. I catch up on my paperwork, order supplies, and generally leave feeling like I've accomplished quite a bit. In fact, this Sunday promises to be quite exciting. A crew is coming in to yank some pre-existing countertops off the wall on Wednesday, so Boss #2 and I have to clean all the stuff from under and on top of the counters so that the office is ready to go on Wednesday.

Extra Credit: Name a song you like with a day of the week in it (you can include Saturdays and Sundays for consideration here).

In high school, our concert choir was at a choral festival and heard another group performing some weird song where they were basically singing the days of the week. The really weird part is that they started with Tuesday! However, I pick Friday I'm in Love by The Cure, which also lists all the days of the week. But at least they started with Monday!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

It's unusual to be in an industry where days of the week, and even holidays, are merely background noise.
My new favorite day of the week is any driving day ... a day when there's nothing to deliver or pick up ... just those glorious driving days between the unpleasant work spurts! It is why EVERY trucker trucks!