flickr

www.flickr.com

07 August, 2007

The Outhouse in the Cemetery

Scalzi's Monday Photo Shoot: Take a picture of, or in, a cemetery. Your local cemetery is good, but if you've been to, say, Paris, to see Jim Morrison's grave, or took some arty shots of an ornate headstone elsewhere, something like that works, too.







Yes, that's me, standing in front of an outhouse in a cemetery.



WHAT?!?!?



This picture was taken during a trip to Alabama when Scott and I were dating. Being a closed-minded Yankee, I declared that I wanted to have my picture taken by an outhouse during the trip. You know - because it was my impression that there would be lots of outhouse photo-ops during the trip. You know - because it's "The South." (please don't hate me - I don't really believe all the crap that comes out of my mouth)



Anyway, it turned out that this outhouse was the only one I saw up-close during the trip. It happened to be inside the cemetery you can see on the left side of the photo. No, the outhouse was not the purpose of the visit. There are some lengths to which even I won't go for a photo.



I'm pretty sad that I don't have possession of the album of my family's trip to the UK when I was little. We spent a lot of time in cemeteries, and in some of the churches, where people are buried right in the floor. But my favorite gravestone picture was the grave of Gelert - a dog - around whom the town of Beddgelert is named. (sure, the story is a legend. but so are Robin Hood and King Arthur)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Bed Gelert was so cool. Shakespeare's was my favorite ... and I liked the one outside Winchester Cathedral that said the man deserved to die because he drank whiskey and beer together.

When we first moved up to Philly, do you remember asking to go to see "the dead people places?" We spent a day with Muggy and Grandmuhma, and toured 3 that had your rellies in it. It was neat, in a way.

RhonddaBoy said...

Interesting website. Please note that the correct link url is http://www.anglesey.info/images/Beddgelert_files/Beddgelert%20Gelert%27s%20Grave.jpg for the grave of Gelert the Dog