flickr

www.flickr.com

02 January, 2009

Flashback Friday #1

I had so much fun with 'Mullet Jamie' last week that I decided to start a new feature: Flashback Friday, with one photo per week from the vast ParkHopper archives. This week, I thought I would stick with the holidays a little longer and present:

Jamie the Narr-e-ator
First Grade Christmas Pageant at Our Lady of Ransom. If you ask my mom, she can probably still rattle off some of my part, complete with nasty Philly pronunciation of the letter "o". I don't remember any of it. What I do remember is that I wanted to be one of the angels. I was crushed that I wasn't one of the angels! Instead, I was the narrator (or one of the narrators, I'm not really sure). Of course, I pronounced it narr-e-ator. After all, what little kid knows what a narrator even is?
And since this was before we owned a video camera (hey - who wants to watch the 5th grade play, Scarecrow Finds a New Post, where I played the Autumn Wind?), and since this is the only photo I have of the show, I will always look back and be able to tell people that I was the omnipotent star of the show, standing center stage in front of (what looks to be) Joseph and Mary, and possibly even Baby Jesus!
Super Star!

2 comments:

Minima said...

Aww, it's too tiny! I can't see little Jamie.

Now this is where all kids are weird. Has there ever been a kid that was happy with their part in a play? I was always the angel and always felt picked on because of it. See, I didn't want to be in the play in the first place (I was desperately shy then) but they forced me. It was the blonde hair. I guess back then it was perfectly okay to openly typecast children because of their appearance. At least I looked angelic. :-)

I still remember my lines but that's just because, being a Baptist school, they were lifted directly from the King James version of the bible. "Fear not: for, behold, I bring you good tidings of great joy, which shall be to all people. For unto you is born this day in the city of David a Saviour, which is Christ the Lord. And this shall be a sign unto you; Ye shall find the babe wrapped in swaddling clothes, lying in a manger."

It wasn't all bad. I did have an awesome halo and some flashy wings - no complaints about those.

Oh, and there are no photos. Though I was forced to participate neither of my parents ever once came to one of my school plays.

Anonymous said...

Narr-e-ator! I forgot about that! You were the only one, as I recall ... but my memory is clouded too!
I remember thinking they wouldn't let you be an angel because you weren't catholic! So you had to be the passive, protestant, nareator!
I remember that dress!
Know what else I remember from that Christmas? You got a cabbage patch kid with a pacifier, and Jenny konked you on your head, and when you were in the E.R., you threw up in the pacifier hole!
Amazing how one photo can bring all that back!