flickr

www.flickr.com

09 January, 2009

Flashback Friday #2

The Blizzard of '96!

I graduated from high school late. Well, not failed a grade late. If you look at it like that, I graduated early, since I was just a few months past 17 on graduation day. 1996 was a banner year for snow, and our school district went through snow days and beyond. In addition to this blizzard (which, if I'm not mistaken, was in March!), we had enough snow that school ended something crazy like 10 days late. I graduated from high school, loaded up the car, and left for college 2 days later.

Anyway, I thought I would post this photo because I talked to one of our repeat diners on the phone today. When I asked how he was, he said "not as good as you," and went on to tell me about the 6" of snow they had on the ground and how more was in the forecast. I tried to point out that, though the weather here is beautiful, I was stuck at work and at least he was at home. He wasn't buying it. I told him that I missed snow, but only because I don't have to drive in it. After all, I learned to drive in ice and slush, and haven't done it since.

I look at the pictures and get nostalgic. But the fact is I don't ever want to drive in snow again. I'm good right here, thanks!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think that storm was in January, but what I know for sure is that they called it The Blizzard of the Century! Snow is fun to play in, you're right about that. As for living in it, I guess I could ... but Florida is my home. But it's not just the weather, I like the people here.

My vocablurry word is nessied ... as though the Loch Ness Monster spit on me!

Minima said...

Hahaha! At least you're bundled up for the cold. If it were me, I don't think I'd have such a huge smile.