flickr

www.flickr.com

26 January, 2009

New Favorite Condiment

Cranberry Relish
1 cup of whole fresh (or frozen/thawed) cranberries
1/4 cup of packed brown sugar

Add both ingredients to food processor and process until desired consistency.

Seriously, I didn't even want to post this recipe because it's so embarrassingly easy! The recipe is actually the cranberry portion of a cranberry-orange pinwheel cookie recipe that I got from "Harp Girl" at work. She made the pinwheels and was really frustrated with rolling part of the process, so I got the recipe from her and started experimenting with "lazy man's cranberry orange cookies." The first batch I made like thumbprints. And the dark red filling made them look like gunshot wounds. This time, I put on some rubber gloves and squished the cranberry right into the orange cookie dough. The result was a lovely pink-swirled cookie that I would love to show you, but they have all been eaten. (no worries - there's a whole slice-n-bake log of dough in the fridge that I'm sure I'll be baking up in the next few days. maybe then there will be a photo!)

These are, by the way, my new go-to cookies. They are surprisingly light, and you can eat way too many of them without them laying in your stomach like bricks. Besides, did I mention the fruit? They are practically health food! (let's not discuss the 2 sticks of butter!)

So the cranberry goop: Scott and I both realized pretty quickly that this stuff would be fabulous on turkey. I have already proclaimed that I am bringing it in for any Thanksgiving pot luck I may have to attend in 2009. I made some extra with that last batch of cookies, and Scott got turkey sandwich fixin's from the store. I had one when I got home last night, and I had one for breakfast this morning - turkey, cheddar, cranberry and cole slaw on fresh sourdough.

Deeeeee-licious!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

That really does sound good for turkey!