flickr

www.flickr.com

13 July, 2006

A Pledge

I feel like I'm going to have some fences to mend and bridges to build with other areas when I finally take ownership of my job. My office, it seems, has this attitude that EVERYONE, no matter the location or job title, should be an expert on my location. I've seen some seriously harsh words delivered to hotel concierge people, IT support people, and some other assorted poor unfortunate souls who have to call us.

I don't want anyone anywhere to ever dread having to call me or work with me. So I am pledging the following for the duration of my career in this office:

* I will never tell someone that they should already know my confirmation procedure (all 6 steps), and that because they missed a piece of information they are not doing their job properly.

* I will never reiterate to a person, after they have apologized and done what they could to make the situation right, that they need to do their job better in the future.

* When frustrated with slow (read: brand-spanking new) co-workers, I will never use the phrase "get the lead out." I will instead take a deep breath and offer to help.

* I will l i s t e n when people are talking.

* I will not blame my computer or co-workers for my mistakes

I am so excited to learn all of the facets of our business so that I can take over and make it better. For now, I'll sit back and learn my job. I'll be flexible and patient and helpful when possible (there's still an awful lot I don't know).

2 comments:

Janette said...

"* I will never reiterate to a person, after they have apologized and done what they could to make the situation right, that they need to do their job better in the future.

* I will l i s t e n when people are talking.

* I will not blame my computer."

All vows I've taken myself. You're a better person and a better employee for coming to these realizations. Your new bosses and fellow employees are lucky to have you.

Good luck and have fun!

Anonymous said...

Gee, Jame! The golden ticket, and now the golden rule! And golden hair ....

I see a pattern developing!