flickr

www.flickr.com

17 October, 2006

Holiday Splendor

Well, now that Halloween is approaching, I guess it's about time we all started thinking about Christmas. Scott and I have already gone through the animated Santa aisle at Wal Mart and pressed all of the buttons to make them sing and dance together in the greatest cacophony that ever was. And we checked out some "good" fake trees. We're getting one... as soon as I find one that's the right height that has good sturdy branches to hold those darn heavy Hallmark ornaments.

I also have to get started putting together my Cats in Boxes calendar. This is the year - everyone who thought it was a silly joke is going to be awfully surprised when they unwrap their gift and have to pretend to a) be surprised, and b) love it! I don't know what production time is, but I don't want to have to pay rush charges. I wonder how many I have to order to get a bulk discount?

I've also been thinking a fair amount about Christmas cards. Last year I just e-mailed everyone a picture of Scott and Milo and me in front of our Charlie Brown tree. That simply won't do. This year I have to find something that stands out in the sea of Santas and Wise Men.

I've also been thinking about my place in my extended family pecking order. I've never really counted them all up, but I have about 30 cousins (not counting all of their offspring). And only a handful are younger than I am. On the success-o-meter of life, I'm probably about in the middle. I'm not a lawyer, but I've never been to prison. I don't have a herd of fabulous children... which also means I wasn't a mom before I could vote. I'm not famous, or infamous.

Are any of us better than the others? I'm sure that each of us is better than the others, depending on the scale that we use. I think that we're all great. (except for Steve... I may never forgive him for hanging me upside down by my ankles and making me call him "Uncle Steve") Then why is it that it seems like all of our worth is tied up in our career successes? I mean, I'm not delusional enough to think that my mom brags to her siblings about the fact that I get to eat 5-diamond cuisine or that I have a job where I no longer have to clock in and out. But we all know when someone joins a big-name company or gets into a great grad school. Why shouldn't I be proud that I've got a stress-free job that pays the bills?

So I made a Christmas card tonight. (yes Virginia, there is a tie-in) To me, it says "hey - I live in the middle of the most popular tourist destination on earth, and I had fun this year." I wonder what it would say to the rest of my family.


I love them all, but sometimes I think maybe I'm an otter (play play play... eat fish... play some more) born into a family of beavers (work and build... the one with the biggest dam wins bragging rights).

Does everyone else feel that way about their families? I wonder.

Oh yeah - so how about my card? Would you laugh your @$$ off if you found it in your mailbox, or would you think some unkind snarky thoughts about me?

2 comments:

Janette said...

I like the card! It says that you're fun and a little weird and since you are fun and a little weird, it works. (Although I do wonder about the random people in the background being in your Christmas card. Everyone will be wondering exactly which family members they are. i'd PShop them out or make up a funny story for them.)

Karen Funk Blocher said...

I did a few photo calendars last year - downloaded a template from Microsoft and added my color pictures. It was very expensive! I also did a black and white one. That cost less,but it was still far from cheap!