flickr

www.flickr.com

14 October, 2006

Kiss My Muscles

Last night, my manager and I, assisted by my trainee, put together a new wine rack for our cooler. There's four of these racks total, and I watched the other manager put together the first one, so I knew it wasn't hard.

The putting together involved a whole lot of me banging things into place (seriously, the instructions say to twist the connector into the pole and then bang it on the ground to wedge it in!) while the guys either handed me things or just watched.

Of course, the manager has a really bad back. I can't blame him for not jumping in and doing the heavy work. And the New Guy tries to help, but he's pretty special and just can't seem to get things right. For example, the individual racks look like this (I tried to add a picture, but it just didn't want to happen). Actually, that's exactly what they are. Every time NG picked up a rack to attach it to the base, he'd try to put it on upside down. "No, NG, the other way." And then he'd rotate it 180 degrees, but still upside down. "No, NG, you still have it upside down." This happened with multiple shelves. Maybe he's never seen a wine rack before? Really, the concept is much like an egg crate - you put the bottle in the curve. But his way would only be acceptable for use in zero gravity!

We did manage to get one of the racks completely finished last night. There's still two more in the hallway. I'm sure the boss left instructions whether he wants us to finish, or wants us to wait for him. I wonder if this is something I could do completely without help? Well, at any rate, I'm wearing comfy pants today.

3 comments:

Janette said...

"Special", huh? That was both subtle and kind on your part.

I've found that when it comes to assembly that I'm often much better off figuring out a way to do things on my own. Some people just can't "see" the final project in their heads and it does nothing but slow you down. Maybe now that he's helped with one and has a frame of reference he'll have a better grasp on the project.

Good luck!

Jamie the ParkHopper said...

I got lucky. NG called in sick, so I was by myself. Plus, Boss and Chef put the other racks together last night so I was able to get some paperwork done this afternoon instead.

Janette said...

Yay! Was there any doubt that the men would pitch in and finish the project? It was a Big Boys version of an erector set!