flickr

www.flickr.com

03 October, 2006

The World

I must say I've been kicking around blog ideas for a while now, but I don't really feel like I have more than two sentences worth to say about anything outside my life. I know I'm a "life blogger," but it's nice to throw in something else every now and again. But really, it's all just a little depressing to me:

THREE school shootings in a week, including one freaky old guy who sexually assaults a handful of high school girls before shooting one; and one freaky old guy who, still bitter about something that happened in his childhood, went into a one-room Amish schoolhouse and shot up a bunch of little girls. Man, I know the Amish aren't big on modern technology, but I hope that they're open to therapy. Those kids are going to need lots of it.

And then there's the Congressman talking dirty to teenage boys over AIM. You know, the one on the committee dealing with creepy old men chatting up teens online. How special is that?

And there's that football player who got mad and stomped on the other player's helmet-less face. He got a five-game suspension without pay. You know what? He makes almost $200,000 in five days. Perhaps that's not a big enough punishment. Perhaps they should force him to check into some inpatient facility for anger management. And I really hope the other guy decides to press charges.

And, closer to home, this guy shot two cops and a K9 before hunkering down in the woods. I don't believe that the death penalty is good, but I was strangely satisfied to know that there would be no trial for this guy. Although 60+ bullet holes in his body from 9 different SWAT officers seems a bit more like an execution than reasonable force.

Anyway, the world all of a sudden seems much more dark and sinister to me. Perhaps this is why I don't watch the news.

1 comment:

Janette said...

I know exactly what you mean.

Politics has gotten so disgusting I've given up political blogging. Which is probably a good thing considering the Mark Foley scandal. I don't think anyone in the Republican party would appreciate what I have to say about the way the whole thing is being handled. Some of my fellow right wing bloggers are so shrill screaming that the page was the age of legal consent and no laws were broken than they can't hear what hypocrites they are.

And it looks like the guy who killed the Amish school children may have gone there to molest the little girls like the guy in Colorado.

As for the killer of Deputy Williams, the only thing that bothers me about that Freelands death is that the SWAT members missed so many times. I have now taken my final fall off of anti-death penalty bandwagon.

Dark and sinister is an understatement and the news seems to take great joy in celebrating the worst of it all. I've turned off the news. I'm done.